Chapter 7: Rusty Cage

"AAAAhhhh, that was a refreshing excursion wasn't it? I bet it feels good to have your hair free of all that filth."

Not having to truly wait long, YN had been patiently awaiting Cecily's presence behind the Cathedral as asked.

"At least you're here now... and decent."

Still shook from the sight, YN was flabbergasted such a woman, —a priestess no less, could be so bold and not mean anything by it.

"Well of course, I said I wouldn't be long after all. Now then—"

Holding up a single, brass key as she replied, Cecily smiled as if excited for what came next.

"—I hope you aren't afraid of some dust."

Cecily moved right past YN as she said that, keeping the brass key held in her hand as she reached a small set of stone stairs that went downward, into the base of the Cathedral. Humming as she went about, the blonde priestess stuck the key into the hole of a very old, and seldomly used lock to a door that led underneath the holy house. With a look back up to YN, Cecily stepped inside.

"Coming?"

With no other real choice but to follow her lead, YN descended the steps too.

***

Inside this dark and dry room, YN figured this had to be the entrance to the Cathedral's crypt. It was one of those spaces so devoid of anything that not even spiders wasted their time building webs here.

The floor, walls, and ceiling were all made of stone, but covered in a layer of long settled dust.

What made things more difficult though was the low ceiling. Going from passageway to passageway, the arches of the entrance to each required one to duck almost an entire head in height.

Wandering behind Cecily, who had grabbed and made use of a small oil lantern at the entrance, YN followed her until they came to another wooden door. Pushing it open, the door creaked and groaned on hinges not oiled in decades.

Now deep into this crypt, and in a room that must have been the end of it, Cecily set the lantern atop a storage barrel, letting the warm light illuminate the entire room weakly.

"Now then, this'll only take a second to find. —I hope."

Rummaging around now in the massive amounts of stuff in this room, YN gave a better look at its contents.

Old pieces of furniture, decorations, weapons, trinkets, barrels, old wine bottles... you name it, it's probably down here...

A whole array of crim-crams were down here. There was simply no breaking it down into a pattern or categories. The place was a disorganized mess of old items. Just as YN was about to do some curio-hunting of his own, Cecily had found what she was looking for.

"—Here!"

Pulling out a long object from behind an old, half-broken cabinet of sorts, the golden-haired priestess retrieved it.

"Ta-da!"

Presented to YN with no context, he took the object.

It was a blue stick, about his own height in length, made of what felt and weighed like a light metal, perhaps aluminum?

"Umm..."

YN looked all about the object, and deduced that with a blue gem at its wider end, it was akin to a mage's staff.

The other crimson eyed girl that was with Yunyun, she definitely was a wizard or a mage, and had a staff a lot like this one.

With no real way this could be anything else, YN held it up a bit higher, and looked to Cecily, who seemed rather excited to explain its significance.