Chapter Twelve

After the whole confrontation with Adam I decided to go to my hotel room to take some time to myself before the court meeting.

I notice a radio on the bedside table and I smile at it. I reach to turn it on before laying back on the bed.

The radio turns on and a familiar song plays. It's the song that played during the night that Alastor and I first met.

The song plays softly like it did back then, as I look up at the ceiling smiling widely.

I can't help but smile at the memory as I hum softly with the song. I take a deep breath and close my eyes.

All too soon the song ends as another one begins. I immediately tense up with this song as I immediately start to remember the worst day of my life.

─── ☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚ ───

As I'm in the kitchen baking, humming along to the radio I hear Alastor's voice.

"Darling?" Alastor calls out before popping his head into the kitchen.

I turn around with a smile. "Yes?" I then notice he's holding his hunting rifle. "Oh, are you...?" I cut off my question knowing he'll know what I'm hinting at.

Alastor nods smiling as always. "I'm just hunting some animals this time."

I dust off my hands on my apron as I gesture him over to give him a hug. After, he pulls away slightly to kiss me.

"I promise to come back as soon as I can, and to be safe." He says as he wraps his arms around me enjoying this moment.

I smile at him. "Just make sure you're back in time to try some of this pie I'm making."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." Alastor says giving me one more kiss before heading out the door.

Watching as he leaves I let out a content sigh before continuing to bake the pie.

After a few hours of working I have successfully made the pie and set it on the counter.

I quickly clean up the mess as I leave the pie to sit and cool down.

I glance at the clock and see it's been a few hours since Alastor left. "That's odd. He usually doesn't stay out long when he's only hunting animals."

I take the radio with me as I walk into the living room. I decided to sit in there and read to wait for him to come back.

Hours go by and I become more anxious. Something doesn't feel right. I take a moment to glance around to see if I can see his car in the driveway or at least hear his engine as he's pulling in.

Nothing. No noise other than the music coming from the radio.

As I start to tap my fingers against my leg a pound knock from the front door echoes.

I jumped slightly startled by the sudden bang. My eyes widen in a bit of fear. I slowly make my way to the door without making any noise.

Once I'm to the door I look through the peephole trying to see who the unexpected visit is.

I immediately see two police officers and quickly dart my eyes around the living room for any weapon I'd have near me to use in case of anything.

I spot a sharp letter opener next to the radio and let out a sigh of relief before I turn the doorknob to see what they want.

As I open the door the two cops stand there with a more solemn look on their faces. A feeling of dread washes over me.

"Ma'am are you (Y/N)?" One of them asks, looking at me with a concerned look.