10. Marriage

Third person POV-

These 6 days felt like 6 seconds for the entire Maniprasth. And today is the day when their beloved princess is getting married. The entire Maniprasth seemed busy especially the royal palace. Attendants were rushing here and there. The entire palace was decorated with fresh flowers, beautiful rangolis and precious artifacts. Maniprasth looked so beautiful that it could be compared to heaven. 

The scene shifted to the outer wing of the palace that was occupied by the groom and his guests. The male attendants entered the large royal bathing chamber with a huge bowl of haldi and the finest of silk garments. Agravin sat quietly in the middle of the bathing chamber. He was clad in a single white dhoti. The Guru came forward to start the ritual of Haldi. Taking some haldi in the mango leaves he applied it first on Agravin's face, followed by shoulder , forearms and then feet. Agravin smiled looking at his Guru's enthusiastic expression. After the Rishi was done with the rituals , the other rishis too did the same. Then the male attendants came and simmered his entire body with turmeric and  sandalwood paste. The other disciple of Keerticharya came with a huge kalash of ganga water and handed it over to the Rishi. Rishi took the kalash and then slowly started pouring it on Agravin's head, when the ceremony was done, the male attendants rushed to help the groom to get ready .
*****************
Similar ceremony was performed for the bride as well. Avni was sitting quitely infront of the mirror while her mother and cousins were fusing over to choose suitable jewelleries for her.  Queen Sudha holded a heavy gold necklace and made Avni wear it. While the maids coloured her hands and feet with altah. When they were done, the princess of Maniprasth checked herself in the mirror. The sarlect coulored lengha perfectly fitted her body, those gold and diamond jewelleries complimented her look. Her long hair was tied in a beautiful bun, decorated with strings of Jasmin flowers. She was looking like the goddess of beauty. Finally her mother came from behind and covered her head with a matching heavy embroidered odhni.
" Kisi ki kudrishti n lag jaye." Saying so Sudha softy took a little kajal from her eyes and applied it behind Avni's ear to protect her daughter from evil eyes.

" Maharani, var yatra aarambh ho gai hai , Maharaj swagat hetu dwar pr aapki pratiksha kr rhe hain."
( Queen, the groom's voyage has began, King is waiting for you to welcome the guest.)
The dasi informed the queen.

Sudha squealed in happiness " abhi aate hai." ( I am coming.)
" Hum sab bhi aapke sath aate hai badi maa."
( We too are coming with you elder mother.)
Vaishali said.
Everyone left the chamber, and here Avni stood all  alone feeling jittery.
***************
The happiness of Subodh and Sudha knew no bound. They were happily standing at the entrance of the huge arena to welcome the groom and his guests. Everyone was eager to look at the groom. At first the other disciples of Keerticharya entered the arena , they were welcomed by the ministers , and other relatives of Subodh. Behind them entered the Groom along with his Guru.
A huge smile appeared on Queen Sudha's face after looking at her soon to- be son in law. Avni's cousin sisters squealed in joy while the maids and female attendees gwaked at him.

" Vaishali jiji , jija shree to kitne roopvan hai n."
( Vaishali jiji, our brother in law is so handsome, isn't he?)
Grisha said excitedly while Vaishali and other agreed with her.

Entire Ahichitra along with the king , queen , ministers and other officials were surprised yet happy seeing the groom. Agravin looked so fine. There was no beard  on his face but just the dense mustache, making his razor sharp jawline visible. The silks of royality suited him well. The jewelleries complimented his well built body. A heavy gold crown seated proudly on his head. Clad in red anagvastra with broad golden border and matching dhoti , he looked like the king of devas.
The king and queen welcomed the groom and his guests.
****************
Agravin was peacefully seated in the huge vivah mandap while the pandits chanted the Vedic hymns. Soon the sounds of coanch shells echoed, announcing the entry of the bride in the mandap. Agravin lifted his head to look at his bride. She was approaching the mandap , with slow and soft steps. She was surrounded by her sisters. Her sight was down casted as if admiring the floor. Agravin noticed her expression, a slight smile was adoring her lips, those heavy jewelleries definitely hindered her walk still she managed to carry herself proudly. Even in the sounds of those coanch shells , Agravin could hear her anklets. Everyone admired her including her future husband. Avni felt butterflies in her stomach. Agravin noticed her every movement, until she settled beside him for the rituals. The Purohit started chanting the mantras , Avni and Agravin both payed attention to the chants. Then the Purohit instructed the king and queen to come forward for the kanyadaan ritual. Subodh and Sudha both felt overwhelmed. They couldn't believe that their little princess was now going to be someone's wife. They never realised when she grew up.
" Mai Puruvanshi Subodh apni netron ko Jyoti , apne pran se bhi Priya putri Avni ko, Bharadwaj vansh ke srestha Keerticharya ke shishya , Kumar Agravin ko saunpta hoon."
( I Subodh of Puru vansha, give my beloved daughter Avni's hand to Kumar Agravin in the auspicious tie of marriage.)
A drop of tear left king's left eye as he completed his sentence. Avni tried hard to hide her tears but she couldn't. King Subodh held Agravin's hand and then slowly placed Avni's hand in his. Agravin securely held her hand while the priest chanted the mantras. Agravin eyed Avni's face, big fat tear drops were flowing from her eyes while she was looking down.