3. Stranger

Avni's POV

I looked at my reflection in the mirror and then looked at my mother through it. The content smile on her face told me that now she is satisfied by my look. I noticed myself and smiled as well. I am clad in a golden lehnga much heavier than my usual ones , red colour odhni is covering my head. To be honest, I am not used to these heavy gold jewelleries, yes I am a princess and I am supposed to carry a lot of jewelleries all the time but usually I prefer less jewelleries with light weight attire. But as per Maa's wish today I wore everything of her choice.
" Maa itna paryapt hai n?"
(Maa is this enough) I asked her and she giggled in excitement while nodding, she took a little kajal from the corner of her eye and applied it behind my ear to protect me from evil eyes.

********

Now I am standing in front of Maheshwar, me along with Maa, pita shree and guru dev are standing in the temple doing the Arti.

" Mahadev mera marg darshan krna"
( Mahadev show me the path.)

I prayed to him. After the Arti I touched guru dev and maa pita ji 's feet.

" Hame to vishwas hi nhi hota ki hamari nanhi si putri itni badi kab ho gai."
( I can't believe when my lil girl became this big. )

Pita Ji's eyes glittered when he spoke this , I couldn't help but hug him.

"Maharaj , swayambara aarambh krne ka samay aa gya hai "
( King, the time to start swayambara has arrived.)
Pita ji nodded on guru Dev's words. And smiled at me.
********
Third person's POV

The huge arena was completely filled with crowds. The first row was reserved only for royals. In the middle of that , the king sat on the huge throne. The guru sat on his right side while his daughter and the queen sat on his left side.

The second row was filled with ministers and sena nayaks while the rest rows were filled with commoners.
Vedic hymns were being chanted , the air was filled with the fragrance of yajgya aahuti.

In the middle of the arena stood the prime minister of the kingdom, waiting for the king's order to start the swayambara.

"Swayambara Aarambh kiya jaaye."

The sound of the conch shell echoed in all the directions as soon as the king ordered to start the swayambara.

Avni took a deep breath and lifted her lashes towards the center of the arena , her mind was clouded with so many doubts but she was trying her best to focus on what the prime minister was saying.

" Maharaj , ham paratham swagat krte hai , khyati naresh ke jeysth putra or khayati Pradesh ke yuvraj, Yuvraj Abhijeet ka."
( King, here I am introducing the eldest son of King of khyati , Yuvraj Abhijeet .)

The prime minister started the event by first introducing the prince of khyati. Avni looked towards the entrance, the future king of Khyati entered with his ministers and joined his hands infornt of the king and guru. He was clad in the finest of silks and riches. The huge gold crown sat proud on his head.

" Swagat hai Yuvraj Abhijeet ."
( Welcome, Yuvraj Abhijeet.)
The king welcomed him and returned his gesture with a smile.

The attendees showed the Yuvraj his way. He sat on his seat with his ministers by his sides. Avni tried her best to avoid it but she could feel his lustful gazes on her.

One by one , the Mahamantri of Maniprasth introduced all the kings and princes who participated in the swayambara. Avni looked towards the horizon, only one prahar was left in the sunset. She was exhausted. Of course she was doing nothing but to sit idoly in her place but she was no longer able to tolerate those lusty gazes on her. Why were they here? Those kings and princes ? They came here with a hope that the most beautiful princess would choose one of them as her husband. They came with the hope to become the future king of Maniprasth. Overall some of them were here to claim her body or the kingdom. How would she be able to choose one of them without being aware about their intentions? Everyone's attention was on her only because it was the time to make a choice. Just name , and clan , was this enough information to know a person? Avni felt dizzy with all those questions clouding her mind but her chain of thoughts broke as soon as her attention shifted toward the entrance of the arena.
The guards were hustling with a man but no one was able to recognise him. The man was clad in dusty white dhoti and a anagvastra. His appearance was telling that he was a poor bhikshuk.
******
Word count- 795

Author's note-
So I know most people don't know about the concept of swayambara. Like we always think that swayambara must had a condition but it is not necessary. Swayambara means a self choice ceremony. Where the girl can choose her future husband. Sometimes swayambara holds some conditions like Sita Maiya 's swayambara in Ramayan and Draupadi Devi's swayambara in Mahabharat. But swayambaras were held without any conditions mostly, where the kings and princes would go , the ministers would introduce them to all and the princess would choose one of them as her choice.
Eg- Swayambara of Devi Damyanti and Devi devika ( from Mahabharata) .
*****

Okay so I know it's a short update comparatively but now finally I am done with my pre boards and my practicals so now I can write here but the finals are still left so I have to focus there as well. As a reader I know that sometimes it's frustrating to wait for updates but thodi meri bhi situation samjh lo yaar.
I am trying me best to complete the drafts.

And yes please thoda vote bhi kr do , I mean views k compare me votes bhot kam hai , to vote karo and don't forget to leave your valuable feedback in comments to help me to improve.
Taki mujhe thodi motivation bhi mile.

If you are not following me on insta , you are missing a lot of interesting things. Also I am on YouTube as well , abhi tak kuch post nhi kiya wo baat alag hai but soon I am going to post some cute short stories there as well.

Thanku ❤️
Har har Mahadev 🙏

Thanku ❤️Har har Mahadev 🙏