Chapter 64. We Were There

[Warning: This chapter contains mature scenes that may not be suitable for younger readers.]

Runa.

That was the name of the author who created this fantasy story entitled as A World Without Light.

Incidentally, the novel has two different versions: the original, written by Runa, and the plagiarized one, which was copied by a transmigrator like me.

The person who stole the work is now in the body of Louisiana Odette von Solaris, the one and only princess of the empire. She admitted to the crime.

Still, that's not the crux of the problem.

"You'll become a famous author someday, Runa!"

It was a single phrase that I heard in my sleep, as if an angel whispered it to my ear. The voice belonged to a girl, but it didn't sound familiar.

It must be a memory from my previous life.

To be honest, I still don't remember anything.

But I'm inclined to believe that those words were directed to me. If that's the case, then I am Runa.

And if the princess says that Runa is the original author, then am I the one who wrote this novel?

What the hell, I cursed to myself internally.

This is ridiculous. How could I be the author when I don't even remember the entire story? Bullshit.

Alright. Let's say that I'm indeed the creator of this novel. Why am I the only one who transmigrated into this world without my existing memories?

And then there's also the memory of my past self holding a blood-soaked knife on my hands. What was that, then? I was under the impression that I'm the psycho fan who killed Princess Odette!

I heaved out a deep sigh. "Unbelievable."

Contrary to the stillness of the night, my mind was a mess. It was swirling with unanswered questions, which rendered me to cogitation.

"What else do you know about the author?"

Princess Odette frowned at my query. "I know everything about Runa, but I won't tell you."

My eyes narrowed into slits. "Why?"

"Because I need you to stick around," she replied in a frustrated tone. "How many times do I have to tell you, Kallen? The plot requires your presence."

I crossed my arms as I watched her bleed.

"You might desert the camp if I tell you everything you want to know now." she pointed out. "You're not the only one here who needs an assurance."

I raised a brow. "So if I stick around and help, will you tell me everything I want to know, Princess?"

She nodded enthusiastically. "Of course!"

"I can just threaten you and make you spill the beans now, though?" I suggested shamelessly.

"Go ahead and kill me, then." She dared me. "From this point on, I won't say anything. You can torture me all you want, and if I die, you will lose the only person who knows about the author of this book."

I stared at her menacingly. How stubborn.

When she saw me contemplating, Princess Odette tried to negotiate. "Look, it's not like I want you to be my slave and lick my feet. All I'm asking is for you to support me and help me rise to the throne."

The princess pressed one hand on her wounded shoulder to stop the bleeding. Sorry, not sorry.

"Just do your part, Kallen." she pleaded. "Once this arc ends, we will have all the time in the world to talk about the author and this story, so... please?"