Lily

Those two encounters with Shadow had me reeling for more. I wanted to feel his caress and taste his lips every time I saw him, which unfortunately hadn't been a lot the last two days. I was supposed to leave tomorrow and Shadow had been mainly MIA. The tracking party came back late last night. Apparently they had tracked the vamp all the way into the next town. Shadow was lessening the amount of guards so everyone could get a little more rest, but not by a lot. And he had been out there nonstop. I'm not sure he even slept.

Paul walked into the kitchen as I was staring at the mountain. I turned to him, "Is he still out there?"

Paul looked drained. He had been out there almost as much as Shadow. Paul was normally a good looking guy. He had a full beard and short hair. He was pretty hairy most places and he liked showing it off. He wore a lot of unbuttoned flannels and you could always see his chest hair peeking through. And when he smiled his whole face lit up.

Well it usually did. When he smiled at me now it barely touched his eyes. I couldn't tell if it was exhaustion or something else was bothering him. Then he replied. "I just convinced him to come in and get some rest."

I smiled back at him as I said, "You should do the same. You've been out there non stop."

He nodded and then said, "Oh don't worry I plan on it." He gave a small chuckle as he headed off toward Shadow's office.

It wasn't even five minutes later when I smelled Shadow's captivating scent. He always smelled of sugar cookies and pine trees. I rushed to greet him at the door. He opened it and grabbed me as if he knew I were there the whole time. He squeezed me tightly and we inhaled each other's scents as if it were the air we needed to breathe.

He placed me gently on the ground but kept his hands placed on my lower back. "You have no idea how good it is to see you." We locked eyes and all those feelings from the mountain came rushing back. I leaned closer to him and he to me. It was like he was a magnet and I was the metal. I was just a few inches from tasting his sweet lips.

Then he abruptly turned his head and dropped his hands to his sides. "I'm sorry. I have to meet with Paul."

I stepped back, noticeably hurt by his rejection. "Oh. Of course." He didn't look at me, he didn't say another word. He just turned on his heel and headed toward his office, leaving me in my agonizing shame.

I waited until his office door closed then marched up the stairs to the room Ava was staying in. I began to open the door as I said, "You are never going to believe what just happened."

As I looked in I saw Ava floating above her bed in a criss cross seated position. Once again her eyes were pure white. I quietly closed the door and sat in a chair across from her. She was like that for 30 minutes until she finally collapsed on the bed.

I ran to her and when I reached her her eyes popped open. I was startled and took a step backwards. I quickly stepped toward her again and looked her over, though. She seemed ok as she finally looked at me.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

My mouth fell ajar. How could she possibly not know what was wrong? "Well for starters you were floating above your bed for half an hour! And then you just collapsed!"

"Oh. That was nothing. I have been trying to pull forth my magic. I need answers. I am starting to feel like I'm being left in the dark by all the witches around me. I don't like it."

"Find anything out?"

She ignored my question. "What happened with Shadow?"

"I'm not sure. One minute we can't keep our hands off each other. The next, he's walking away leaving me shamefully hot and bothered."