|50| • Amelia

I was incredibly nervous as I made my way through the sea of ecstatic people. My once dry palms had softened from the amount of sweat that moistened them, and my eyes refused to make it to others' gaze, I just smiled and ducked through until I was inside the auditorium. Clutching the handle of my shoulder bag, I tried to control my breathing. This wasn't the time or place to have a panic attack.

I was alone.

I had to do this on my own. Why didn't I tell Abel to come to support me? Or Binta? Goodness, did I really think I could manage this all on my own? My throat felt as though it was contracting from how dry it was, pursing my lips, I counted to ten and again. "I'm fine." I huffed to myself, a wave of dizziness hitting me. I was here to live my dream, not to freak out and run off.

I was a step forward, I wasn't going to take two back.

"Hey, darling are you okay there?" I didn't know the voice was directed at me until I felt a pair of cold hands cup both of my shoulders. Flinching, my hands immediately pushed the taller figure away, trying to create space between us. When my hands connected with a firm chest, my eyes widened, realising what I'd done.

He was only trying to help!

"I'm sorry!" The tone of my voice rose an entire pitch, holding my bag, I bowed my head, about to scurry off but the hand held me in place. A laugh sounded from the figure, "Hey, it's okay. My bad. I'm the one who suddenly touched you." Hesitating, I turned around with my eyes paired on the marble tiles.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shove you. A-and yeah! I'm alright."

"Are you sure though?"

Taking a deep breath, I finally looked up to see the owner of such comforting and curious words. He was a foot taller than me and dark-skinned. The man had a slender yet muscular figure, his chiselled chin covered with strokes of beard. I stumbled back seeing as he stepped closer. When he noticed this, he didn't move any closer, he just held his hands up in surrender.

"My bad, but...you're okay now right? You seemed to be having a panic attack or something." He smiled sheepishly, itching his neck before placing them on his waist. Oh, he noticed. How embarrassing.
Forcing a smile, I nodded. "I'm fine now, thanks. It's just...they're a lot of people here." I didn't know why I let that part slip from my lips but somehow I thought he'd understand.

The man nodded, "Yeah, I understand. There's no need to be freaked out though. Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name's Raul." As he said this, he grinned, extending his arm but it wasn't for a handshake, it was for a fist bump.

This made me stifle a giggle. "I'm Amelia! Nice to meet you, Raul." I fist-bumped him with a genuine smile. I guess he understood I was still nervous. Raul cheesed, nodding his head. He had a boyish charm about him, even though I was sure he was older than me.

"How about this, Amelia? Let's stick together, I'll introduce you to some of my friends. Would you like that?" My ears perked up at the mention of this. The last thing I wanted right now was to be alone, nodding my head, I tried to tame my giddiness. "If you'd be so kind."

Raul winked, giving me his elbow, when I looked down at it inquisitively, he nudged my shoulders with them. "Think of me as your chaperone. So you won't get taken away by the sea!" His voice sang his words animatedly. I covered my mouth, giggling. What was with him? I hardly met people this playful anymore. Everyone seemed to be worrying about one thing or the other. Shrugging, I interlocked my hand in his elbow.

"Thank you, kind sir."

Having him as support made me feel a tad more confident, I wasn't pushed around as much because Raul easily manoeuvred through the crowd, being taller than me I guess it was easier to see where would be a better place to pass.