|17| • Everest

Saffron coloured me nervous.

She stared at me with a smirk as I adjusted the slant of my hair every time I passed a thing which showed my reflection, a deep urge to ensure there was nothing out of place.

In all honesty, I didn't want yesterday to end; after the movie, she sat close to me, gently placing her head on the surface of my biceps. I knew cuddling would be too soon so I accepted her little gesture of closeness, humming a song to clear the silence while we spoke about different things.

Today, I was to search for a job with her. I had a few in mind but I wouldn't know if she liked them until I took her there. Darting my eyes to my step-sister, I snorted at her knowing grin. "What?" I gave her the triumph by asking the pending question.

"If you touch the hair any further, it just might fall out in frustration, big brother." She teased. Although snarky, Saffron was right. I was being nervous and it was showing. Taking a deep breath, I try to shrug off the weighty emotions. "So, when will I meet this woman who had my brother in a knot?" She hummed, skipping over to me.

Woman. Amelia wasn't too far off from Saffron's age. Perhaps that was why I didn't correct her, what would she think? I was falling for a lady who had barely crossed the adulthood stage. "When the time is right," I said with a smirk of my own.

"How do I look?"

"Like an old man."

I laugh, "Geez, I'm half a foot out of my thirties, I'm not that old." The red-haired girl hummed, poking her head into the mirror as well, her head barely reaching my shoulder. "How do I look?" I raise an inquisitive brow, she had on skimpy shorts and a sweater shirt. "Where are you going?"

"To see Rivers."

"In that?"

"What's wrong with this? He'll like it, don't you think?" She had to be pulling my leg. This was a Sunday, wasn't she meant to be preparing for school or something? Taking a deep breath, a force out a smile. "I guess so." She giggled, throwing her head back. "You're so easy, like dad." When she said this, I remembered how the young adult me years ago would have reacted, cringed and walked away. But now, it was so familiar it'd be odd if she didn't call Pa that.

"I am going to see him, but of course, I'll change. Or dad wouldn't let me out of his sight."

"Good." She scoffed.

"Enjoy your little date. Tell her I said hi." Saffron greeted with a wave, skipping into the kitchen where she continued to mix her salad. With one last look, I took my keys to the truck, revving the engine to life.

I was beginning to know Amelia's lively neighbourhood like the back of my palm. It was downtown, in a gated estate, with nice neighbours and a lateral housing pattern. Parking in front of her house, my eyes widened a bit as I saw the little lady who managed to make my heart speed up --just as it was doing now-- rocking the balls of her feet, outside. Crud. Was I late?

Leaving the engine on, I put the car in park and come out. "Hey, sweetheart. Did you wait long?" The concern came unannounced as I glanced over at the girl who had her lips pursed.

"Uh, I'm early. I couldn't contain my excitement! So I decided to wait out here." Oh, thank God. I was starting to get worried. Chuckling in relief, I admire the girl. "You look beautiful."

The compliment rolled off my lips quite easily, earning a grin from the girl. "Do I?" She asked with a cheeky smile. Dark black jeans hugged her curves paired with a pink polo and white sandals. Causal, but still beautiful. I hum, mirroring her smile. "The prettiest." I continue walking towards her.