|38| • Everest

This was the second call I was getting from Florescent today, and this was the second time I had rejected the call. Perhaps two weeks ago I'd have spared her the time, but the last thing I wanted was to have an argument with Amelia over some woman that was in the past. At one point, I was tempted to text her and ask what the matter was, but Gabe advised me against it. "It could be a trap." He said with a serious face, which made me chuckle.

"A trap?" I asked again, smirking at his ideology. The man nodded, crossing his arms. "What if she calls and says she has a baby for you?" He asked with furrowed eyebrows, his light skin forming creases. I chuckled, "A baby? We haven't even had sex yet." I teased. Alright, to be honest, we did. Once. It was a drunken night. I told her a warning to wait until our wedding, but she didn't really want to. A heated night out, one thing led to another, and we did it in her best friend's house -- not my proudest moment.

Dear Lord, I hope she didn't get pregnant from that. Gabe scoffed, throwing his hands in the air. "See? You even have to think about that for a solid minute." I rolled my eyes, why did I allow him to tag along on my property hunting again?

"Probably because I'm your only friend, and you need a professional's opinion." Gabe gushed out; I could practically hear his head inflating with every sentence. Oh, had I asked the question out loud? Huffing, my hand went to ruffle my unruly hair.

"Look, I'm just saying. If you want peace, ignore the ex. I'm speaking from experience." This made me grin. That was true, he fell into a coma with a girlfriend and woke up in a different one. Such a charmer. "I just hope she isn't in any kind of danger." Why would Flo buzz me at one in the afternoon? Gabe groaned, most likely tired of our backs and forth -- I was too.

"Danger? If danger was close, she'd be dialling the cops, not you. Back to what we came here to do." He huffed, gesturing at the flat we were in. The agent who was taking a call walked back in, his name was Fredrick, a dark-skinned man with thick biceps. "So, gentlemen, is this to your liking?"

After Amelia said yes, I realized it would be weird to come to my family's house just to see me, that was part of the catalyst, the other being I was over thirty and still leaving in my parent's house. Army or not, I needed my own place. We were in a two-bedroom flat on the fifth floor. The flat was quite generous in spacing, the kitchen having a cozy look to it. What I thought was intriguing with the stone block interlocking fireplace. Honestly, I wondered if Amelia would want this.

Call me crazy, perhaps obsessed, out I had chosen a location a bit close to the baking school she was going on about. The culinary school was out of town, but not too far from this apartment. When I told Gabe about this, he hollered and decided on a name for me.

"So, lover boy, is this flat to your liking?" There was the nickname Gabe adamantly gave to me. Giving the apartment one last look, I shrugged. This was the third one we had been to today, I didn't really see any fault in this one, besides, I thought the style of the flat was neat, and modern too.

"It's pretty decent, to be honest, I like the location too," I told Fredrick, from my peripherals, I saw Gabe sneaker, probably mocking my reason for choosing this location. Fred nodded, a satisfied smile on his lips. 'I'm glad you do, the lease is for two years, and the owner says you can start bringing in your things after the payment has been received." His words were monotonous.

"Alright, no problem. Send me an offer on that." I told him, shoving my hands into my pocket as Gabe followed through, walking outside with me. The hallway seemed pretty quiet, the last thing I wanted was a noisy neighbor. I and Fred spoke some more before I bid him goodbye.

Gabe yawned, itching his goatee. "You know what I want to do right now?" He let out casually, walking towards the stairs. According to him, this was his form of exercise, Penelope nagged him about not getting out much to help with his physical therapy, so he began taking walks now.