24. Grayson

I hold Emery in my arms, not wanting to ever leave her alone again. It's not fucking fair what she's been through, what Jack has put her through.

"We're back," I hear Devyn call from somewhere else in the house. I grab my phone and send him a text.

Grayson: Shut the fuck up.

Grayson: My girlfriend is sleeping.

Emery's door swings open and Devyn walks in.

"She's sleeping again?" Devyn asks.

"Get out," I growl at him.

"What's your problem?" Devyn looks annoyed now.

"You're still here after I've told you to shut up and go away," I snap at him. "That's my problem."

Emery stirs and looks over at Devyn.

"How come you're sleeping again?" Devyn cocks his head at Emery.

"Because I want to," Emery murmurs, rolling over so that she's facing me and nuzzles her head into my neck. I put my arms around her and pull her closer to me.

"Why the fuck are you all over each other?" Devyn sounds confused.

"Get out," I mutter again.

"No. Why are you—"

"Go away, Devyn," Emery groans. "Please."

"Fine," Devyn snaps, shutting the door behind him.

"I'm sorry he woke you up," I say into her hair.

"It's fine," she mumbles.

"Are you hungry?" I ask.

"No," she shakes her head.

"Are you lying?" I play with her hair.

"No," she bites her lip.

"Did you eat breakfast while I was gone?" I murmur.

"No," she sighs.

"Then you're hungry," I whisper. "Come on, let's go eat."

"Okay," she sighs again.

"Do you feel like going out?" I brush hair out of her face so I can see her beautiful eyes.

"Not really," Emery bites her lip. "But I don't want you to leave me here."

"Devyn's here. He won't let anything happen to you," I mumble, even as my grip on her tightens.

"I can text Aria," she hums. "Ask her to bring something back whenever she decides to come home. Then you can stay here with me."

"I like that idea," I whisper. "But I think you need to eat soon. You haven't eaten all day."

"I know," she sighs.

"I'll text Devyn. Maybe he can go get something," I murmur.

"Okay," I feel her smile on my neck.

I grab my phone and text Devyn.

Grayson: Can you go get food?

Devyn: If you're hungry, why not get out of bed and go get your own damn food?

Grayson: It's not for me, smartass. It's for your sister.

Devyn: You mean your girlfriend, right?

Grayson: Don't be a bitch.

Devyn: Fine. What does she want?

Grayson: What the hell kind of question is that?

Devyn: Right.

Devyn: I'll go get it. For my sister though, not your girlfriend.

I roll my eyes and shut the phone off.

"What'd he say?" Emery mumbles.

"He said he'll go get you something," I tell her.

"Okay," she sighs.

"I'm going to have to tell them what happened eventually," Emery says suddenly, her breath catching.

"Not until you're ready," I wrap my arms around her tighter like I can protect her by never letting her leave. "Or I can talk to them."

"Do you think I'd be able to switch my school schedule?" She bites her lip.

I forgot she has so many classes with that asshole.

"Yeah," I murmur, "I'll make sure you are."

I hold her in my arms until there's a knock at the door. Devyn opens it and walks in carrying food.

"Here Emery," Devyn sighs, dropping the bag onto the bed next to us. She jumps up in response and quickly starts eating.

Devyn's eyes linger on her neck and his throat works. He looks at me and I shake my head at him. Later, I mouth. That probably looks like I did it.

"I'll leave you two alone then," he murmurs after a couple of seconds. He walks out and Emery crawls closer to me.

"Do you want me to go get your bedsheets?" I ask her while tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear.

Fear flashes in her eyes as she grips my wrist.

"Okay, okay," I murmur, rubbing her back gently. "I won't go anywhere. I'll stay right here."

She nods and goes back to eating her food.

Once she's done, she reaches under her bed and grabs the chocolate I gave her yesterday. She curls up next to me and shoves a bunch of chocolate into her mouth.

"Gray?" Emery asks after a long time of silence.

"Mhm?" I hum.

"When's the next time you have to go home?" She swallows. My poor Emmy.

"I'm not sure," I pull her to my chest and she takes a deep breath. "But I'll make sure Devyn is here next time I leave. Or I'll just take you with me."

"Okay," she whispers.

There's a knock on the door and I sigh.

"Come in," Emery calls.

Leia opens the door and walks in. "Hey, how much do you think we—oh my God, Emery. What happened to your neck?" Leia gasps.

"Shit," Emery flushes and tries to hide the bruises, but it's pointless. Leia already saw them. Devyn appears in the doorway next to her and leans against the frame.

"Are those hickeys?" Leia raises an eyebrow at me.

"No," I mutter, trying to keep my temper in check as Emery's blush deepens.

"I don't understand—"

"I swear to fuck, Emery, if those are bruises—"

"I don't want to talk about this right now," Emery cuts Devyn off.

"I need to know—"

"She said she doesn't want to talk about it, Devyn," I growl, cutting him off.

"Then you tell me what happened," Devyn fires back.

"Devyn, please," Emery whispers tears forming in her eyes again. I don't know if I can handle her broken cries again.

"Can you tell me what happened? Please?" Devyn asks, softer this time.

I squeeze her hand gently and she breathes in deeply.

"Jack came while no one was home," Emery says quietly.

Devyn looks like he's going to kill someone, and Leia looks like she's about to throw up.

"He did that to you?" Leia whispers.

Emery doesn't respond, she just leans against me. She slips her hand into mine and squeezes.

"Why didn't you call me?" Devyn grinds out.

"I didn't have my phone on me," Emery murmurs, keeping her eyes on the ground.