Chapter XXVII

Abasi finally lists the names of everyone in the school and says it's a total of 100 students. 46 from Junior school, 44 from senior school. I'm surprised not much people even paid.

The Proprietress dismisses us immediately Abasi is done.

"Oreke, wait na." Teddy yells my name as I walk towards the gate with a frown on my face. Why is she calling me? Shey she can lie to me abi?

"Oreke, I know what you're thinking but it's not the truth." Teddy finally catches up to me. She stands in front of me blocking me from moving forward. She puts her hands on her hips and pouts.

"I swear on my life, I...."

"Teddy, don't swear. It's not good." I snap.

"Ehn, since you refuse to believe me na. Why won't I swear?" She retorts. I sigh, maybe she's right. I should hear her out because I see no reason for her to lie to me. I raise my brow. I demand an answer.

She clears her throat and starts. "I don't know who paid for me seriously. I'm as shocked as you are. I'm thinking of asking Abasi but he's currently busy with his muslim girlfriend."

I rub my temple. Could it be that Teddy's secret admirer? The one that sent her a letter? Hm, she better be careful. Fidel walks past us with Hannah and the Fawzeeyat girl besides him. He eyes Teddy with disdain and shakes his head at her.

"He thinks I lied to him." She mumbles to me.

"I don't blame him. I'm still finding it hard to believe you seff." I say.

"Really? Now give me one good reason why I would lie to you about such a thing?"

That's the thing. I see no reason for her to lie to me. The only reason I'm suspecting her is because she's a very secretive person. She doesn't tell me stuff, maybe she's having a secret affair with a guy in this school but she doesn't want me to know about it.

"I believe you." I say and continue walking. I was actually planning on confronting Demilade today but I changed my mind, I'll let her go. Everyday for the thief, one day for the owner.

"Ehen Oreke, I have big gist for you. You know I told you not to leave school early yesterday but you didn't listen to me." Teddy says walking behind me.

"I had to go to work. You know that." I roll my eyes.

"Workaholic. Anyhow I heard Mercy's conversation with her sister after school. Guy, Mercy is not pregnant. It was a prank." Teddy deadpans. I freeze in my steps and it makes Teddy bump into me, the both of us almost fall but luckily for us we had already reached the gate so we lean on it.

"Prank?, Who were they pranking?" I ask.

"I don't know honestly but I heard Mercy telling her sister that she's no longer interested in the prank and that she's tired of lying to people that she's pregnant when she's not." Teddy says. I scrunch my brows in confusion. But why would Mercy do such a thing?

"Then Meekness was like they had a deal and that the deal must work unless she'll reveal Mercy's secret to their mum."

So Mercy has a secret but the secret isn't that she's pregnant and apparently Meekness is blackmailing her with that secret. Then why is Amir playing along?

"What about Amir?" I ask.

"Sharp girl. I taught you well. Part of the story is true, the part where Amir was in Murewa's house during the holiday and that he was having fun with his friends. You know the kind of fun I'm talking about?"

I nod my head. Of course I do. Drinking Alcohol and smoking.

"Well apparently, Mercy was in Murewa's house that day to deliver something to Murewa's mum. Yes, Amir did approach Mercy and maybe try to harass her but nothing happened between them. Amir thinks something happened between them because you know he was drunk na? He won't really be able to recall what happened."