Chapter XI

Why did I tell Murewa?, What is wrong with me?. This my big mouth.

I knock the front door several times yet no one opens the door. I've been standing here for almost 10 minutes now. Why won't either Demi or Bolu come to open the door?.

I can hear loud music coming from the parlour, I know it can't be Demi because the music is Nigerian music, Demi prefers Foreign music.

"SOMEBODY OPEN THIS DOOR!" I yell at the top of my voice.

The front door opens widely, the smell of smoke suddenly hits me. I resist the urge to cough loud. I'm going to kill Demi or whoever is burning something inside.

I step in, the parlour is a mess. Loud music is blaring from the TV, the room smells like alcohol and standing in front of me is my aunty holding a glass cup full of some red-ish substance.

What is happening?, Is she throwing a party?. Even if she is, why will be at this time(7:30pm) and why invite a bunch of half naked girls?

"Where are you coming from by this time of the day?" My aunty yells. I don't know if she's yelling because of the music or because she's annoyed.

"I-i, I-i...." I stutter.

"I-i, I-i." My aunt mimicks me with a silly face.

"I went to work ma." I say.

"Which stupid work?, Did I send you to go and work?" My aunt snaps.

"Dami, take it easy na, let her come inside." A young lady yells from inside.

My aunt eyes me and gestures me to come inside.

There are actually 5 ladies here, 1 of them looks like the one that came looking for my aunt the other day.

I manage to greet all of them and they actually respond nicely.

"Dami, let the girl rest while we continue our enjoyment!" One of the ladies exclaims. Surprisingly the rest of the ladies join her in screaming, including Demi's mum.

I use that opportunity to go straight to my room, although I wait a little to eavesdrop and I hear one of the ladies say.

"The girl thick o, why hasn't she joined the business?"

I wonder what business.

"My dear, na step by step, she go join soon." That was my Aunt's reply.

I lay on my bed and start crying, I'm crying because I miss my parents, I'm also crying because I don't like the way my aunt is treating me.

Demi isn't home, I don't think Bolu is home either because their mum won't do such a thing with them around the house.

"Lord Jesus, help me."

********************At School.

I can't stop wondering what business my aunt's friend was talking about. I would have shared this problem with Teddy but she has been really quiet since first period.

I asked what the problem was and she just shrugged and said nothing. I know something is wrong. Looks like we all got our problems.

Today is Monday and everywhere looks dull, or maybe it's because Teddy isn't cracking jokes.

It's lunch time and I don't even feel like eating, the money I earned from Mama Ngozi on Saturday is 2,000 naira, I used it to buy spaghetti and 2 eggs for myself this morning.

"EVERYBODY, THEY'VE POSTED OUR TUTORS ON THE NOTICE BOARD OH!" Some random girl yells entering our class.

Everybody in the class excluding I, Teddy and Devil rush outside.