Chapter XV

I and Teddy walk into the primary school. The gates are widely open and the compound is full of smiling and running children. A lot of parents are here too with their expensive cars.

Where is Bolu?, I've told him times without number that once it's closing time, he should wait in the compound for me but he's no where to be found.

I release a heavy sigh. I don't know who is worse in Bolu and Demilade. Kidding, I do and obviously, Demi is worse. She is rude and spoilt. I hate spoilt brats. Everything is so easy for them.

The sun shines brightly and it makes my forehead sweat. I feel a gentle tap on my shoulder.

"Let's go and wait for him there." Teddy mumbles dragging me to a tree. Finally!, Shade.

The both of us stand under the tree for close to 5 minutes yet no sign of Bolu.

I'm about to give up and walk into one of the classrooms to search for him but I see Bolu approaching us. As he comes closer I notice his uniform is rough and his eyes are sort of swollen. He didn't look like this when he left the house so what happened?

"Bolu!" I yell.

"Aunty Oreke good afternoon, good afternoon aunty Oreke's friend." Bolu says. He sounds tired. His stomach grumbles and he clutches it hastily.

"I'm hungry."

"After all the plenty rice I put in your big food flask. Mummy also gave you money, 500 naira for that matter." I snap.

"I-I, I-I, erm, I-I." Bolu stutters scratching his hair.

I sigh. I hope those boys are not still bullying Bolu because even after Bolu told his mum what happened, she never even bothered to go to his school and ever since then, he stopped talking about it.

"Let's go." I say dragging him.

The walk back home is silent because I just keep on thinking about Bolu. I'm so concerned about him, he doesn't look so happy. I wish I saw Ire in school, I would have asked him how Bolu is fairing in class.

We come to a stop in front of Fidelity's gate. It's so silent, unlike usual.

"Teddy wait for me here. I have to make sure Bolu showers and eats." I say.

Teddy nods her head.

"Abi will you come inside with me?" I ask.

"No, thank you. I'll stand here and wait for you." Teddy replies.

I nod my head and drag Bolu towards our gate. I make sure Bolu showers, changes into clean clothes, there's leftover rice so I give it to him to eat. I also clean up and change from my uniform into a red tank top and a pair of black leggings. I tell Bolu to just give me 30 minutes that I'll be back soon. He nods his head, although he isn't paying much attention to me but on the cartoon he's watching.

I walk out of the house, I see Demilade walking towards our gate. I hiss and walk towards Fidel's gate. Surprisingly Teddy is no longer where I asked her to stay. This girl doesn't hear word, where did she go now?

The red gate is open, I wonder why. I peep to see if there's a gateman but there's no sight of anybody. I walk into the compound. It's big, very big. 5 luxurious cars are parked and there's a small office close to the gate. They definitely have a gate man but where is he.

I shurg and admire the beautiful flowers growing in their compound. Did I forget to add, their compound is very neat too. I walk towards the front door and knock but surprisingly the door opens wide. What's going on?, The door isn't locked.

God be with me as I walk into the house, amen.

I walk into the house and to my uttermost surprise, the sitting room is littered with bottles, different bottles of alcoholic drink. The air even smells like smoke.