Chapter XXVI

The heavy wind coming from the window sends chills seeping through my skin. It just had to be this morning, why couldn't the breeze come last night? Why does it have to be this Friday morning when I have to prepare for school?

The good thing is that the school said the people who have paid for the field trip should be in school by 9am. I still have some time lie down and rest. I'm about to close my eyes and embrace the cold when my phone rings out loud almost damaging my eardrums.

I groan loudly and roll to the left side of the bed where my phone is lying carelessly. By the time I pick it up, it had already stopped ringing. I unlock the phone and see it's a missed call from Teddy, What is the time that she's calling me?

Jesus!, 9:45am. I scream out loud and jump off the bed. How can the time be 9:45am? I had checked the time earlier and it was 8:20am, how did the time suddenly jump to 9:45? It's 9:46 now. Oreke why are you wasting time?

I dash towards the bathroom without even wearing a shower cap on my head. Let my braids be wet, I don't care.

After some minutes of showering. I finally come out of the bathroom dripping wet. The school asked us to come in Normal wear and not school uniform. I don't even know what to wear.

I use some minutes to scatter my wardrobe, then I finally decide to wear Fidel's fluffy blue sweater and a pair of blue fitted jeans. I'm so dumb, why didn't I wear shower cap before entering the bathroom?, Now my braids are very wet. What will I do?

I sit on the tip of the bed and ponder on what to do. I might as well just tie a scarf on my head. I rise to my feet and bring out a white scarf. Satisfied with the way I tie it round my hair, I apply nude lips gloss on my lips (I can't go anywhere without applying my lips gloss.) I grab my phone, my sandals and the handbag I took to work yesterday after school. The money Ngozi's mum gave me is still in my handbag so with that, I walk out of my room and shut the door behind me.

The house is very quiet, I wonder if Demi is at school since she stole money to pay for the field trip. My eyes settle on a note lying on the center table in the living room.

I have left for work. Whenever you're ready to go to school the keys are under the door mat in front of the door, lock my door abeg.

I hiss aloud. This Demi's mum is starting to annoy me seff. Imagine, she can't even say she left money under the door mat, nonsense.

I wonder which work she's talking about seff. Aunty Aishat said she lost her job because she was caught sleeping with her boss. Chai.

I squeeze the paper and toss into the waste bin. One day I will leave this house for them. I obey Demi's mum instructions by taking the key and locking the door.

The walk to school is fast because I run. I run so fast that immediately I get to school, I start panting and sweating like someone that ran from Lagos to Ogun state.

The compound is crowded with students dressed in colourful outfits. It's so beautiful glaring at them from a far distance. Some are sitting on the floor and laughing about something. Some are strolling around, some are even playing silly games like Tinko Tinko, the juniors sha.

"Orekelewa Adetutu!!" A familiar voice yells from among the crowd. Teddy stands there dressed in a plain white T-shirt and an army green skirt. Ngozi is standing close to her dressed in a white fitted dress with floral designs and a slit at the end (She's so beautiful.)

I dash towards them.

"You ehn. What is wrong with you seff?" Teddy yells at me earning glares from some students.