Chapter 23 - Somewhat friends

CHAPTER 23 - SOMEWHAT FRIENDS

NATALIE'S POV

"Stop glaring at me like that, Natty. I'm gonna act like I'm not even here." Jamie repeated, amused, for the third time, as I moved towards the hall to go open the door as the bell had just rang and obviously Eric was here.

I've spent the rest of the morning with my best friend and only after lunch, well, more like ... half an hour ago, I got to study a little. After all, I hadn't seen my best friend since ages and we needed to, more than catch up, just hang out a little.

The thought of Eric reproaching me for not being a good pupil and really studying, other than worry me, made me giggle a little.

"I am not glaring. Nobody says you can't say. Just ... be nice, okay? I coaxed.

She awed, shocked, placing a hand on her heart. "Me? How comes, he is the bad element and you ask me to be nice?"

I rolled my eyes, knowing her fake outrage was just mocking. "Eric is not ... uh, forget it." I gave up, then walked to the door.

Mom will be home earlier today, and she knows about Eric coming this time, but simply because I told her Jamie would be here, so she kind of ... calmed down a little, especially when Jamie said her brother would come by 4 pm, so we three would be alone for relatively little. Although, what my best friend omitted to tell my mother is that her brother comes here by 4 pm to pick her up and go to their grandparents', so ... technically, after that, Eric and I will be completely alone ...

"Hey ..." I greeted with a small smile, feeling still a little wary with him, despite the progress. His lips twitched a little, and I know that's the closest to a smile he'll ever give me willingly, so I accepted that. After all, when he isn't able to control himself he does smile sweetly and it's such a lovely sight ...

As he came in, I explained that since my best friend had been here all day, I hadn't had time to exercise much but I'd done my best and ...

"You know, Natalie, I was joking about punishing you if you slacked off." He cut me off, his tone clearly amused, which allowed me to chuckle.

"Yeah, I know, I was just saying ..."

"Hi." Jamie interrupted me as she stood up from the couch, grinning, to greet my guest.

Eric nodded, even though he looked clearly surprised to see her.

"Uh ... Eric, this is my best friend ..."

"Jamie." He filled in and I frowned.

"Oh, you guys know each other?" I asked, confused. My best friend kept grinning as they held a stare contest and Eric looked ... uncomfortable? Why was he?

"Eric." Jamie gritted, arms now crossed, even if still amused, and in her eyes I could see a mischievous glint that normally meant she was up to no good ... "Long time no hear." She said.

Well, ok, that took me off guard. That they know each other, that was odd already, but that they would have enough of a relationship to even hear from each other? What really left me puzzled was Eric's ears beet pink, as he was clearly embarrassed. I looked in between them and eventually realized ... "Oh, I get it. You guys have been together."

His outraged and her amused 'No way!' confused me. Jamie chuckled. "No, Natty, no, we've never had sex." She pointed out, with her usual directness. Eric sighed, going to take his place at the living room table.

"Then how ..."

"It's a long story." Jamie concluded. I frowned. Well, that's suspicious. I don't have the right to inquire on Eric's life, but my best friend ... she burst my eardrums about my not telling her anything and she hid me that ...