six

CHAPTER SIX

CHAPTER SIX

       𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘋𝘐𝘕𝘕𝘌𝘙 𝘛𝘈𝘉𝘓𝘌 𝘐𝘚 𝘘𝘜𝘐𝘌𝘛, we haven't said anything all night, but I'm sure we're thinking of the same thing. Sage. My mother is most likely wondering why she left and if everything is okay.

I, on the other hand, am worried. It's been an hour since she left and I don't know if she's okay. She made it clear she wouldn't be going home today so where is she? Did she eat? Does she hate me?

Why do I care this much anyways?

I'm not sure why I'm so caught up about this girl. I don't this. I don't have crushes and fall in love. I don't constantly think of one person. At least not anymore. But here she comes making me feel all types of emotions and concerns I told myself I would never show again.

I sigh, poking my fork around in the chicken pot pie my mom made. She put them in mini ones suited for one person and it's delicious. I just don't have the energy or drive to eat right.

I want to stand up and leave the table but I'm scared she'll think something else is up. Every time I refuse to eat or don't show interest she suspects I'm about to go through another episode and I don't want that. I just want to-

I want to make sure she's okay.

But I can't. She didn't leave any number and I barely know her enough to where she hangs out. I pause internally. Thinking back to some nights before. The rig. That's where I saw her for a second time. Hope fills me when I realize there's a chance she could be there.

I turn my phone over instantly getting my mom's attention. I tap the screen and see the time (19:24). It's not that late. I can convince my mom to let me leave. Right? I look up at her to see her already looking at me.

I look down at her food to see she hasn't touched it either. "Just go, Cory." She says, with a face of exhaustion. I'm not exactly sure if she meant to leave the dinner table or go out, but I have a feeling she knew what I was thinking.

I stand up, grab my food, and place it in the microwave. I'll probably eat when I'm in a better mood. I run to my room and reach for the light switch.

I waste no time grabbing the nearest jacket and sweatpants I find. I don't even actually process what they look like because I'm in a hurry.

In a hurry to make sure she's okay.

I sigh as I slide my shoes on suddenly feeling like a pathetic loser for feeling this way. She's probably fine! She's a big girl who's survived 17 years without me. Why do I care?

I open the door anyways. "I love you, Mom," I say, poking my head in. I don't wait for her to say it back before leaving.

After 2 bus rides and a lot of steps, I'm back in the alleyway where the underground hangout is. It's light tonight. Probably because it's a weekday. There are two guys outside, but they don't look like teenagers. They seem older.