CHAPTER 37

Jayden's POV

After making sure that the clown I call friend is gone with his silly wife, I turn back inside, ignoring the stab of anger in me.

How the hell did I become friends with Gabriel? Why can't he always be serious? Where the hell did he meet his wife who matches his exact type of craziness?

I expel a deep sigh and walk inside. I shouldn't have let them come. Isabella was embarrassed and I was too. She is only doing her job by saying all those things but I was a bit angry at her for not reading through the lines.

She played dumb. Just like she used to do when she was my Assistant.

Just before I get to the staircase, my phone beeps but I ignore it, thinking it is Gabriel. When it beeps for the second time, I dip my hand into my pants to bring the phone out as I take the staircase up.

Alejandro's name pops across the screen and I wonder why he is texting by this time of the night. I have an appointment with him tomorrow morning and he might be texting regarding that.

I tap on the message as I take the staircase up.

"Hola, compagno. I believe it will be inappropriate of me to call by this time of the night which is why I am texting. You are now a married man and not the bachelor you used to be. Regarding the appointment tomorrow, can it be rescheduled till noon, probably 2 pm?"

I shake my head and tap on the second message. "2 pm will be appropriate because my flight got canceled. If I don't arrive before 2 pm, I will let you know. Peaceful night, compagno."

I sigh. 

Alejandro is another friend of mine and a business partner. We have a deal to close tomorrow and I really hope it works out tomorrow. If he doesn't come tomorrow, then it will be closed next week but I want to get it done by tomorrow so I can focus more of my attention on our robotics plans.

I get to the door and open it. I enter inside to see the room empty. Isabella isn't in the room and I glance around, wondering where she has gone when I hear the shower running.

She must be in the bathroom. I was thinking she had gone somewhere else in embarrassment of what she had done to humiliate me but it's ok.

I understand that she is only trying to help.

I am thinking of going out to give her enough time to come out and get dressed when my gaze falls on the book on the sectional sofa.

It looks like a novel so I pick it up. 

The title is MAIL-ORDER BRIDE and it looks like a romantic novel from the 20th century. I can figure it out from the cover of the book which has a bride and a man in a frock.

I open it and my gaze flashes on her name handwritten on the first page which contains the author's dedication.