Deception (9)

༺♡༻
99th Precinct
18:47

~Y/n POV~

"Ladies and Gentlemen!" Jake exclaimed. The tall man stood atop his desk, looking down at everyone in the precinct. Rosa, Gina and I stared up at the childish man with judgemental looks frozen on our faces.

"Tonight is the night where ghouls and ghosts alike come together to celebrate the spookiest night of the year, it's Hallowe'en!" Jake announced in a goofy voice: it was as if we didn't know this, not with all the orange and black decorations dotted around the room.

"And that means it's time for... the Halloween Heist!" Confusion quickly replaced my mocking look. Everyone else either groaned or applauded at Jake's announcement. Soon Holt joined in the banter as he and Jake shot many teasing quips for a while... at least I assume their only teasing...

"Woah, Woah, Woah! What's the Halloween heist?" I yelled among the chaos. Everyone's heads spun to look at me, before looking back at Jake.

"I'm so glad you asked young one..." Jake began to speak, attempting to sound as mysterious and deep as he could.

"Young one? I'm the same-" Jake cut me off by placing a finger on my lips.

"The Halloween heist has been a tradition here at the 99th precinct for quite a while. Each year, everyone competes to steal an item of choice. The first to steal said item will be crowned: "The ultimate Human/Genius"" I nodded in understanding, nonetheless, I was still confused about the meaning of this.

"Why? What's the point?" Everyone on the squad gasped, as though I had insulted Rihanna to her face. "What?" I looked around the room, everyone couldn't take their eyes off me.

"It's okay guys, she's new. She doesn't understand, oh but she will" Jake spoke up, his eyes glaring at me with delight.

"I don't get it" I mumbled, though no one seemed to hear me as they immediately began to pick teammates.

"I choose Rosa!" Jake called out. "Sorry Y/n, but I need someone with more experience" he looked at me fondly with hints of sadness in his eyes, before nodding to Rosa and the two of them walking off.

"I want Terry. Terry, come." Holt commanded as the two men sauntered off towards the Captain's office.

"Gina?" Charles asked hopefully while pointing his two pointer fingers at her.

"Yeah... no." Gina backed away in slight disgust.

"Fine..." Charles looked at me, then said... "Hitchcock, Scully, you are with me" he grumbled out as he walked away.

"What! Seriously you chose them over me?" I called out sounding offended.

"Guess we are just better than you, sorry Y/n," Scully said before shrugging and waddling away with Charles and Hitchcock. I huffed and crossed my arms in front of me. My eyes scoured the scenery, I noticed no one on the squad was looking, so I turned towards Gina with a smug smile on my face.

"Well played, Lil pup." Gina approached me, a devious look in her eyes. "Well played."

"Thanks, Gina." I grinned at the lady. We began to walk towards the records room, where we had dubbed the place our base of operations. You see, despite my colleagues being some of the best detectives I've ever worked with, they certainly are easily fooled. No one works in the 99th Precinct for 3 months without hearing about the infamous Hallowe'en Heist. Gina and I made a plan you see, about a week into my arrival she approached me and explained everything. She explained the history behind the Halloween heist and her grand plan for us to win.

She had been planning this since the moment Captain Holt told her about me joining the 99th Precinct. Hopefully, today is the day where all that planning pays off. Hopefully.

"As you know this year, our goal is to take the golden goose egg. Now, I know what you are thinking: why a golden goose egg? Well! Let me tell you." Gina paced up and down the room as she spoke. "I was the one to suggest it because one of Terry's children painted a golden egg for Easter, meaning the egg holds sentimental value not only to Terry but to Jake and Charles too because Jake is the godfather and Charles is a father so he's emotional about these things like the loser he is" Although the last one was a bit of a stretch, in my opinion, I just nodded along, knowing it was a death wish to doubt Gina Linetti. "You remember the plan?" Gina asked.

"Yup," I confirmed with a wicked smirk stretched across my face.

"Let's blow some detectives' minds!" Gina yelled enthusiastically.

19:21

"Jake!" I called out. Jake's serious demeanour quickly faded as soon as his brown eyes latched onto me. He mumbled something to Rosa and without breaking eye contact strode over towards me.

"Hey there" Jake beamed down at me, however, I had to stray focused for my plan to work. Despite the two of us standing quite close already, I took a step forward and placed my hand onto his bicep, gently rubbing his upper arm. Jake's face flushed a deep red, and his eyes flicked down to my lips, and back up two my eyes. With a nervous voice, Jake managed to mumble out: "w-what are you doing?"

"Well, I haven't seen you all day... I missed you" I whispered the last part while leaning closer to the man. Jake looked as though he was about to collapse on the spot. "How come you never told me about the heist?"

"Oh? Uhh... I guess it slipped my mind..." Jake breathed out. His chest rise and fell deeper than before as his breath seemed to hitch. My hand gently glided across his leather jacket, across his collarbone, around his neck to the back of his head where my fingers tangled and tugged his hair.

"What do you do during the heist?" I looked up at Jake through my eyelashes. My fingers toyed with his hair as the man melted at my touch. I know that it was a bit embarrassing that we were this intimate during work hours... but anything for the heist!

"W-well, we umm, this year Rosa and I have to steal this Golden egg, which we already did..." Jake stated proudly with a giant grin on his face.

"Really?" I acted super impressed, although I already knew this. The egg was locked in the interrogation room, where it was placed inside a nest on top of a pedestal. Gina and I planted a hidden camera on the other side of the one-way glass so we could keep tabs on the prize at all times. "You know... you look really good in your leather jacket..." I whispered some more... although I was doing it for the heist... it still was truthful.

"R-really? Thanks..." Jake suddenly became all bashful and now his face was blood red.

"You know, if you win, I'll give you a prize of my own" with a cheeky wink, I turned back and sat at my desk, continuing my 'work' as if nothing happened.

I cannot believe I just did that, in the middle of the bullpen too! Whatever, we are going to act like this never happened, because like I said, anything for the heist. If all went according to plan, Gina should be in the records room, with the egg in hand, or our cover is blown and there is no shot of winning this year's heist...

Time to see what fate has in store...

༺♡༻