31| Flowers

If I'm being honest, I forgave August the moment I heard him curse under his breath

If I'm being honest, I forgave August the moment I heard him curse under his breath. I forgave him the moment I walked away from him in the dorm hall.

Because how could I be mad?

He was just trying to start his future before it even began. And I was the one who took that away from him.

I laid my head on his back as he continued to walk back to the college. My eyes were starting to get heavy, and my body started to relax against his, as if I was melting into him.

When my eyes started to shut, I quickly opened them again, afraid if I fell asleep that I would wake up and he would be gone.

It's going to take me a while to be able to trust him the way I used to. Most people wouldn't even think that it was a big deal.

But it is to me. I was afraid that the only thing that kept me from crumbling under the memories of the dark past was going to leave.

He was my protector.

August didn't know it, but he was my protector.
I felt safe and felt as though I could let my guard down and maybe even let someone else protect me.

He still is my protector.

But now...I think I might have to protect my heart from him. August stayed silent as he walked.

I can't believe I'm letting him carry me to the college. It makes me feel pathetic. But I know if I was to walk on my own, I probably would have fallen over like one of those scared goats that you see in videos.

I let out a soft laugh, which caused August to look over his shoulder at me. "What are you laughing at?" He asked with curiosity.

"Nothing pretty boy." He turned away, facing the forest. I watched as the tips of his ears turned red, and I could already tell he was blushing.

"I get you so nervous." I heard August let out a huff of annoyance. August didn't say anything about that comment. It was like he didn't know how to answer that.

August lifted me onto his back more. His large hand is gripping the back of my thigh so I don't slip off of his back.

I leaned my head to the side so I could see his tattoo. It was still red from the skin being irritated, but on the other hand, it didn't look infected.

I did very well for it being my first time doing someone else's tattoo. I'm not going to tell him that, though.

I leaned forward, placing a soft kiss on the spot. August let out a soft sigh. I watched the train tracks come into view, and just the thought of us almost being back at the college had a yawn escaping from my lips.

August looked back at me again. "You can g-go to sleep." He said softly, with a slight stutter. I shook my head, not wanting to fall asleep just yet.

"Why?" He asked, turning back to the forest and continuing walking in the direction of Blackwell.