Chapter 91: Making A Pledge, To Retrieve The Net

A few days later, Sarutobi Shinnosuke finally returned to the Fire Capital from Konoha after completing his mission. As soon as he reached, his first stop was Naruko's residence.

"Your Highness, I have delivered the letters."

Naruko nodded and said with a gentle look, "You truly have worked hard. Go and instruct the attendant to go to Nahara's place and invite him over here. I'll honor what I promised you."

Shinnosuke was overjoyed hearing this, "Many thanks, Your Highness."

Not long after, Nahara came over to Naruko's residence in high spirits. In recent days, his life had turned on its head, and he was living in a fantasy world. Every day, many people came over to his residence to flatter him. His father's attitude towards him changed for the better, and everything was done according to his wishes.

Over time, even Nahara believed his father was going to hand over the Daimyo's position to him.

In the past, Naruko had always displayed his intelligence and wisdom. He pretended to be diligent and studious all day long, and many people sided with him, which caused Nahara to live under his shadows. Nahara did not harbor any good sentiment for his elder brother, who had always been stepping on his head.

Now that the situation had reversed, he naturally wanted to take his revenge. Nahara entered the room and sat down arrogantly, "Naraku, why did you ask me to meet you?"

Nahara's disrespectful address infuriated Naruko but there was little he could do.

'With just a little change, this incompetent brother of mine is actually being so impudent, addressing me by name? If he really became the Daimyo, wouldn't he get rid of me first?'

Naruko himself didn't realize that the way he thought was already very different from his past self. Although he was angry in his heart, he didn't show it. He took a deep breath and after stabilizing his emotions, he said with a humble smile, "Nahara, I wanted to talk to you about something. Shinnosuke has protected me for so long, and I know him very well. He is an upright and remarkable ninja, who is very suitable to be the next Hokage."

Nahara raised his eyebrows and asked doubtfully, "Why are you telling me this? It's not like I know him."

'Truly a worthless person who knows nothing.'

Naruko stood up and said while making tea for Nahara, "From childhood, I was stupid, not as intelligent as you. In the future, I guess Daimyo's position will be yours. Since I have had a good relationship with Shinnosuke, I would like to ask you to write a pledge. The pledge is to express your support for him during the Hokage election after you become the Daimyo. Treat it as your elder brother begging you for the first time."

After speaking, he pushed a teacup in front of Nahara. This humble gesture made Nahara feel particularly content. Even his hostility towards Naruko decreased. He picked up the teacup and blew over it, "It's just the position of the village chief. I'll agree to it."

After speaking, he sipped on the tea but it was still too hot and burned his mouth. At that moment, Naruko got up to take a pen, paper, and an ink pad from his study, placing them in front of Nahara.

"Nahara, as the future Daimyo, I believe you'll not go back on your words. But you have to write a pledge so that Shinnosuke will be loyal to you in the future. I presume you'll not mind this tedious point."

Naruko had already grasped Nahara's temperament. As long as someone flattered him enough, and gave him a dunce's cap to wear, he would wear it. Hearing these words, Nahara was overjoyed and nodded in agreement.

He then coughed lightly, straightened his collar, and picked up the pen to write the pledge. Once he was done, Naruko pushed the ink pad in front of him. Nahara didn't think too much about it and just placed a fingerprint on the paper.