Chapter 85.2: Audience With Daimyo, Draining Pond For Fish

After a long time, the Land of Fire Daimyo seemed to have made up his mind and said in a sincere tone, "In that case, I earnestly request Seimei-dono to teach my children. Naraku is my successor. I want you to teach him one technique and two strategies. I want him to also gain broader knowledge so that he'll be able to govern the Land of Fire better in the future."

"As for Nahara, he is mischievous and unruly. I want you to discipline him and tone down his temper."

As soon as the Daimyo said this, Uchiha Tonan's objective was achieved. He didn't bother to continue being pretentious and directly bowed to him, "It's an honor for an old man like me to be able to teach the two highnesses. I had wanted to find a suitable person to pass down my knowledge. If the First Highness inherits them, I'll rest assured. I'll exhaust all that I've learned over the years and devote everything to teach the two highnesses."

The Daimyo was slightly excited hearing Tonan's solemn vow. If what Seimie said was true, then Naraku would be able to get rid of the ninja village and the Hokage's restraint, and the Daimyo could completely control the Land of Fire. Once the pattern was broken, the opportunity was limitless.

He suppressed the growing exhilaration in his heart and slightly nodded, "I can assure you Seimei-dono that after Naraku succeeds to the throne and truly becomes the Daimyo worthy of the name, you'll be a great official of the Land of Fire, enjoying the power to supervise the country."

"For the next few years, I'll not give you an official position but your treatment will not be lacking in any way. In fact, I advise you might as well move to the Daimyo Residence, it'll be convenient for you to teach them."

Tonan, however, shook his head and replied, "I've already promised Tonan-sama to teach the orphans. On human grounds, I cannot break my promise. I'd like to continue living in the North City Guard Residence with your permission, Your Majesty."

......

Tonan and Daimyo discussed several things. Only the two of them and the four secret guards knew what they talked about in the hall. It was noon by the time Tonan politely declined the Daimyo's request to stay and insisted on returning to the North City Guard Residence to teach the orphans.

As soon as he stepped out, the group of officials that had been waiting outside the mansion for a long time, rushed over and surrounded him. They respectfully greeted, "It's an honor to meet you, Seimei-dono."

Tonan returned the greeting calmly, "The pleasure is mine to meet the Lords."

"Seimei-dono, you don't need to be polite with us. I guess you've already agreed to His Majesty's wish to teach the two highnesses."

"Yes."

"In that case, after the First Highness inherits the Daimyo's position, you'll be given the official post of at least the Grand Minister. At that time, we'll have to rely on you."

"For me, authority is ephemeral," Tonan replied, shaking his head, bearing a remarkable resemblance to a great sage who was beyond the desires of the world.

"I wonder if I can invite Seimei-dono to my residence. Everyone wants to speak with you and hear some of your thoughts."

"I must apologize. I've to go back to the North City Residence to teach the children." Tonan bade farewell to the ministers after a short conversation, declining their repeated invitations, and quickly headed towards the North City Guard Residence.

"That was too disrespectful of him."

"Such a conceited and arrogant person is doomed to fall sooner or later."

"Don't make random guesses of such a talent."

"Yes, Seimei-dono has just accepted to become the teacher of the rescued orphans. He has to fulfill his duty."