Chapter 59: Death With No Regrets, Visiting An Elder

Author's Note:
Summoning: Impure World Reincarnation is a jutsu that binds a deceased person's soul to a living vessel, restoring the dead as they were when alive to do the summoner's bidding

Kinjutsu, meaning Forbidden Techniques, are techniques that have been banned from being taught or used
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

After Uchiha Tonan walked out of the courtyard with the medical-nin, Sarutobi Shinnosuke, who was waiting outside, curiously asked, "How's his condition?"

The medical-nin signaled the two of them with his eyes. Tonan and Shinnosuke took the hint and followed him to some distance along the street. Only after that, the medical-nin stopped. Taking out a pen and paper to write the medical report, he said, "His condition's serious. I estimate it's a psychological problem and it's severe enough to leave him only a few months to live. You've to be prepared."

Tonan looked startled but slowly nodded. "I understand..."

Shinnosuke patted Tonan's shoulder lightly and said, "I'll request Hokage-sama to approve a leave for you. You should spend time with that grandpa."

The medical-nin sighed and asked, "Do you need me to give you a medical report?"

"No need. I'll leave now. If I take too long, I'm afraid he'll notice," Tonan shook his head, bowed, and turned to leave.

Just before he turned around, Sanbo Motoyoshi, who was observing from a distance, retracted his head and pushed the wheelchair back to the courtyard. Although he was unable to hear their conversation because of the distance, he could guess its gist from their actions and expressions.

Motoyoshi had thoroughly given up hope now. 'It seems I truly can't live on...'

After a while, Tonan walked in with a smile. "Grandpa, the doctor said you're in good health. I was panicking unnecessarily. I'll cook us a fine meal."

Motoyoshi nodded with a smile and said, "Cook less. In any case, we can't finish it... don't tire yourself."

.........

Half a month later, lying in a bed in the Konoha Hospital, Motoyoshi, who had become skin and bones, used all his willpower to open a small crack in his eyes. With his last gasp, he said "Child, I've put my will in the bedside cabinet. Don't be sad. Promise me you'll live happily."

Tonan reached out and grabbed Motoyoshi's withered hand. He said with a calm look, "You can rest assured, I'll inherit everything from you and live well. If you're tired, close your eyes and rest. Don't force yourself."

"Good child..." Warm memories of the two of them getting along flashed through Motoyoshi's mind.

'Don't worry, grandpa. I'll do my best to clean your house.'

'Grandpa, were you a ninja in the past?'

'Grandpa, I'm Uchiha Tonan. I'm not sure how to address you.'

'An hour in the morning is worth two in the evening, I always like to get up early. After all, early birds get the insects.'

'I want you to accompany me forever. After all... I'm an ill-fated person.'

......

There was some unwillingness in Motoyoshi's eyes as his eyelids slowly closed, and was replaced with a hint of a smile as he passed away peacefully. The medical device sounded an alarm.