Chapter 10: Selecting Ninjutsu, Setting Up Illusion Domain

Author's Note:

Genjutsu attacks a ninja's mind creating illusions by controlling the chakra flow of the target's cerebral nervous system, affecting the five senses.
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Sarutobi Hiruzen looked at Uchiha Tonan's three-tomoe Sharingan. On the surface, he looked sympathetic, but his heart was brimming with joy. He thought this kid was a heaven-sent tool for him.

Tonan slowly stood up, and said, "Hokage-sama, you don't need to worry about me."

He took a deep breath, forced himself to smile, and continued, "I have already pulled myself together. I will inherit my parents' last wishes and protect the village well. The war is still ongoing, and you must have much to deal with. If there is something I can do, please, do not hesitate to instruct me."

Hiruzen smiled while nodding and said, "It's fine as long as you can get over it. When I received the news, I was very worried you wouldn't be able to bear the blow. You are the future hope to protect the Will of Fire."

After speaking, he comforted Tonan, gently patting his head.

Tonan looked at Hiruzen, and as if he was trying his best to endure extreme grief, he tearfully said, "Hokage-sama..."

"Rest for a few days. Don't treat yourself badly. Come to the Hokage Residence any time you like if you need something," Hiruzen said with a benevolent look.

Tonan nodded and turned to leave. To end the act perfectly, he looked back once every three steps, making Hiruzen feel very pleased.

After Tonan left, Hiruzen returned to his seat. He blew out a mouthful of smoke, narrowed his eyes, and muttered, "What a good sapling. He's more suitable to inherit the Will of Fire than Minato. Pity, he was born an Uchiha."

"We have lost on quite a few fronts. It's a bit troublesome. Should I change the frontline army?" Hiruzen pondered.

The troops resisting Kirigakure were almost entirely made up of Uchihas. The commander was the newly-appointed patriarch, Uchiha Fugaku. It was well known that the Uchihas, who were good at fire-style and genjutsu, were the best suited to restrain them.

After thinking for a while, Hiruzen discarded the plan to change the army.

"Let's observe the situation for now. Judging from the current state, these sporadic local wars are last-ditch counterattacks. The war will be over soon."

Suddenly, the door was pushed open, and Shimura Danzo walked in with a cold look.

"Hiruzen, I heard a genius has appeared in the Uchiha clan, and he has already awakened the three-tomoe Sharingan."

Hiruzen raised his eyebrows, slowly blew out smoke, and said, "Danzo, don't take arbitrary action."

Danzo said indifferently, "The Root has lost a lot of personnel and needs to be replenished. When Uchiha Tonan graduates, you should hand him over to me."

Hiruzen shook his head and said, "This child's character is not suitable for the Root."

Danzo snorted and said, "Hiruzen, are you doubting my means of control? Whatever anyone says, he is from that vicious Uchiha clan. We should either strangle him in the cradle or firmly control him."

Hiruzen was not convinced and said with a firm tone, "Danzo, I have my own plan. You can choose personnel for the Root from the other ninjas."

This surprised Danzo a little. He hadn't expected Hiruzen to refuse him for a trifling genius with a three-tomoe Sharingan.