xx. a badge of honour

CHAPTER TWENTY:

CHAPTER TWENTY:

A BADGE OF HONOUR。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

A BADGE OF HONOUR
。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

...VALERIA HAD NEVER PAYED MUCH THOUGHT TO HOW SHE'D DIE, but as her sister towered over her, a cruel sneer tugging at her chapped — lifeless — lips, she contrived that this was it.

She, Valeria Targaryen, was completely fucked. 

"Care to explain what you've really been doing whilst you've been out here playing the diplomat?" Daenerys's biting words were colder than the night air as she spat, watching her little sister squirm with an almost cruel degree of satisfaction. "I've always known you for a madwoman, Valeria, but this is too far." She menaced, all irony completely lost on her as saw only red — any notion of reality, or truth, escaping her. 

"A madwoman? You honour me." Valeria chuckled, her each and every word charged with sheer mirth as she willed herself to stay strong in the face of this most deplorable challenge. "Our house was built by mad women, or have you forgotten that?"

"And just as they built it, they tore it down." Daenerys muttered, cruelly. "And as for it being our house, I'll remind you that it is not you who bears the weight of all our histories, and certainly not you who brought dragons into this world after centuries. Do not lecture me about history books, sister, for I am the stuff of them." She told her, and Valeria backed away, a wounded deer caught completely off guard by the sudden venom lacing her sister's words. 

"You forget that it was I who told you to put those eggs onto that pyre. I who won us Meereen. I who fought your battles, won you your cities. I who took the blame for all your mistakes — who offered up my legacy so you got to be vicious, yet remain untarnished and sweet." Valeria was enraged now, truly at a loss as she rounded on Daenerys, an unrelenting fire rising within her. "They call me mad — a sinner — yet you remain perfectly untouchable. Can you not see that I have given you everything?"

"Everything?" Daenerys laughed, a pernicious smirk crossing her lips. "You have undermined me at every turn. Risked me everything with your whoring and your drinking and now you test me further by fucking the enemy!" She proclaimed, and at that, Valeria held her tongue — there was a slither of truth to this, yet Daenerys seemed to have forgotten that (most) of this was at her own encouragement. But alas, those were different times — and it seemed that Daenerys wasn't so enthralled by the prospect of Valeria's freedom now as she once was. "Regardless, I thought you went for smart girls, not monstrous recluses."