Chapter 36: Our House

A house needs to be filled with love, warmth, and people to truly be a home. It also needs to have inviting spaces that create and reflect love and warmth. Sunday afternoon, Ava and Johnny scoured furniture and department stores. They used part of Ava's golf tournament money to buy what they needed in terms of furniture and finishings. The tournament money is a huge blessing to them.

It was an interesting time picking out furniture together, but they needed it for their house. In each store, they tested out mattresses, which proved frustrating. This is because she likes a soft mattress while he likes it a little more firm. Together they compromised, with one that fits both their needs. Half the battle in relationships is compromised with giving and taking. 

Same with the living room furniture. He wanted all leather and she did not. She put her hands on her hips and told him "Johnny all leather furniture is not practical. What if we get a dog and it scratches it all up? Or what if when we start having kids and the kids scratch it all up?"

Not listening to his wife, he lounged on a brown leather sofa. "We will forbid the animal and kids from sitting on it." He thought that would be the perfect solution.

Putting her hand over her face, she muttered "Are you kidding?" Looking up at him, she then explained "I love you but we are not getting leather. It ruins too easily." In the end, they got a linen blend living room set and a leather club chair. The best of both. 

The couple could breathe a sigh of relief. All of the furniture had been bought, and scheduled for delivery, late Monday. One of the main elements for their home has now been obtained. It's a huge check mark off their list. 

Next up are the finishings. The Nordstrom home department also provided for compelling discussions. Ready to pull out his hair, Johnny wanted to know "Why do we need a million towels and sheets. And what does the darn thread count matter?" If they look at one more white sheet set he's going to lose his mind. White sheets are white sheets. 

Ava narrowed her hazel eyes at him. "Because dear, not all sheets are equal. The higher the thread count the better quality they are. They will last longer and feel better to your skin. Plus it's good to have multiple quantities." Thank God she listened to her grandmother's sheet picking talk, years ago. She'll never forget it, as her grandmother is picky, to begin with. She also made a mental note to NEVER take her husband linen shopping ever again. He has zero patience for it.

Sheets, towels, rugs, pillows, curtains, it's all ridiculous to him. A sheet is a sheet. A towel is a towel and a pillow is a pillow. It doesn't make any difference to him how fluffy they are, but his wife assures him it does matter. And then she told him to go pick out more towels for the guest bathrooms. Any color she says. Grumbling all the way back to the stupid towels, again, he picked out several sets in bold red, navy, forest green, and sunny yellow. 

Clearly, she lied because the minute she saw the guest towels she huffed out a breath. What an eyesore those colors are. Mumbling under her breath, she said quietly "If you want something done right you have to do it yourself." She noted to NEVER let him pick out towels ever again, alone. Putting them all back, she chose softer and neutral colors like cream, light grey, soft blue, creamy green, and peach. So much better. 

As soon as all of the linens and things were purchased, and dropped off at Sid's beach house, they rested. They've already had all of the utilities turned on in the house. Johnny contacted the cable guys to hook up the TV, which will be on Tuesday morning sometime, as well as the phone. So now all they have to do is wait until the signing. They both decided that after they sign at one, and all the furniture is delivered by five, they're going to talk to their parents. They're going to tell them the truth and hope for the best.