CHAPTER SEVEN: BEADS

🪘🪘🪘

BEADS

I did as I was told and wore the dress that was picked out for me as fast as I could, made myself presentable enough before making my way down the staircases.

"Good, there you are. Hold this." Aunt Ruby showed up suddenly in front of me and forced a tray in which there was a plate of kolanuts and a bottle of drink into my hands just as I got off the last staircase.

"Let's go." She ordered and led the way, sparing me not even a moment to ask what this was about and what the reason behind her and mum's nervous looks. Regardless, I took in a deep breath and followed her down into the living room. On stepping in, mum was the first I took notice of and then uncle Chimdi and... an unfamiliar face. Without enough time to take proper notice of the stranger, I had to pick out striking features such as the small two-tiered red coral beads that hung around his neck and similar beads around both wrists. He held a small horsetail in his right hand.

"This is Kasiemobi." Uncle Chimdi introduced just as I set the tray on the center table. I looked at him and realised he now sat up and his wife had taken her seat beside him. Already introduced, I stood straight, turning to the stranger, and displaying a simple and yet welcoming smile. Do I greet him? He doesn't seem that much older than I am?

"Kasie, this is Kamalu... your husband-to-be."

What? Immediately, I turned to my uncle, whose eyes barely met mine.

He's joking, right? This has to be a joke. My husband-to-be? What is that supposed to mean? I looked from him to his wife and then to mum. None met my eyes and worse, neither of them made a reaction for me to conclude I'd heard wrong. My hands by my side folded into tight fists. I couldn't get any of my questions out.

The stranger's deep laughter made me shift my attention and gaze back to him and watched as he had a brief, hearty laughter, hating every bit. "You're exactly what they described. You're perfect."

What?

Again, I stared at him, unable to let out any word, not even a question. I need to say something, but I'm quite dumbfounded by what was happening. I watched him get up on his feet and, as he did, the native attire he had on, unwrinkled. He walked his way to me and took my hand in his, raising it to his chest.

"Finally, it's time." He stated, looking into my eyes. Something about his words sent an icy shiver down my spine. This felt eerie and wrong. I wriggled my hand out of his hold and tried opening my mouth to say something, but I couldn't get any word out. I was too dumbfounded and somewhat scared. This wasn't me.

I looked at my family once more and without saying a word; I hurried my way out of there as quickly as possible. The moment I walked into my room and shut the door behind me, I couldn't stop the jittering feeling that went on inside me. I couldn't sit and I couldn't stand in one place. I paced back and forth, rubbing my hands together in panic, several questions jumbled up inside my head. The door opened, and I came to a standstill. Mum stood at the entrance for a minute, guilt written all over her. Then she stepped in and shut the door after her.

"Ma-marriage? Who is that man? Why did uncle Chimdi say that?" Finally, I got the first questions out and waited patiently to hear her explanation. She made her way to me and took hold of my hands in hers.

"Kamalu... he's your betrothed."

"What?" I withdrew my hands from hers. "You're lying to me. Never have I been be-betrothed to anyone. You knew about Steve and my fiancé before him, and not once did you object to it?"

"That's because I knew it's never going to happen. Look at you now, neither of them is beside you, but with Kamalu... it has been decided and it will happen."

Staring at her, I folded my arms below my chest. "Even if I say no?"

Her face dropped, and she took a few steps closer to me. "You can't and you won't say no."

"Mum."

"Keep quiet!" She ordered in our native dialect with a look in her eyes like I've never seen before. "You don't know this now, but this marriage is for the best. Think it over and we'll talk another time." She added, and before I could utter a word more, she was already by the door and soon out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

With a sigh, I slumped to a seat on the bed. My hands ran across my braids and to my neck. It felt like someone bathed me with a very icy water and I'm too shocked and cold to think through. This isn't happening. This is a strange and sick nightmare. It can't be happening. Worse part? Mum's determined to get nothing else but a yes from me, and that's the last thing I would ever want to say.

My hands covered my mouth in disbelief. How did I get to this point in life? An arranged marriage? That's silly. I don't know what to do, but I know I have to do something if I want to save myself. Somehow, I'm going to figure that out.

* * *

I woke up in a scare, my breathing fast, and my heart racing so rapidly that I dreaded it might spurt out of my chest. Sweat covered my full body. Darkness enveloped the room and I couldn't see a thing, which heightened the fear that already engulfed me. This was the second time in a row that I was having the same nightmare. A similar feeling of happiness. The same walking down the aisle. The same groom, Cergio, and the same masquerade slitting his throat.

I buried my face in my palms. Why won't it stop? What does it mean? It was simpler when I didn't identify who he was, but now, it didn't feel the least bit less terrifying than the first time. I was more terrified for him. What am I going to do? I slumped back, my head resting on the pillow, and I glared into the darkness. My troubles are building and I do not understand why.

Since the 'you're betrothed' announcement, I haven't actually spoken to any member of the family except my sisters, who haven't asked me anything regarding that subject. I'm puzzled. Do they know? Do they not know? Are they pretending to not know or they easily don't care? Which is it? Yet, I haven't been able to confront them head on. I know what my reply to mum's demand is, but I wasn't sure if I had it in me to stand in front of her and tell her I won't do it. Yes, my dilemma is pathetic.

I strolled toward the outdoor garden dad used to hang out a lot. A round wooden outdoor table, about three, four seats, and a canopy that shades just that very spot. He would always use it as his relaxation spot. A day never went by without him spending even a few minutes there. His death six years ago had taken me by surprise. To me, he was the healthiest person in this family. It was too much of a shock to hear he passed away in his sleep. Right now, I wanted to feel his presence. Maybe, I'll be able to come up with the right way to deal with everything.

The moment I stepped in, I drew to a halt and stared at the last person I expected to see. Immediately, I turned away. Why is he here? He shouldn't be here. I should leave before he sees me.

"Kasie." He called right before I could take a step. Do I pretend like I didn't hear him? Yes, I definitely should.

"Kasiemobi." He called in full, much to my surprise. I couldn't help it and turned to him.

"You just pronounced my name, in full... and did well at it." I added whilst walking up to him. Cergio's smile broadened as he shyly lowered his eyes for a moment.

"I had to get your attention." He replied, and his eyes were back to me.

"Oh." My reply was low and ridiculously shy. He smiled, and I smiled as well, although unable to steady my gaze on him.

"You can stay. You don't have to leave because of me." He added, and I spared the empty seat beside me a glance before shifting my gaze back to him.

"It's okay. You're busy..." I looked at the opened book in front of him. A bible. "... Reading and I'll just be a distraction." I completed and spun away to leave, but suddenly felt a grip on my left wrist, only to turn back and realise Cergio was responsible.

"Stay... please." His words came out calm and alluring. His eyes held truth, and something about them made me want to believe his every word. That was it. I couldn't look away even though every fiber of my being was telling me to leave while I can. Instead, the moment he gently let go of my hand, I took a step back and quietly took my seat across from him.