Chapter 24: Remorse

I woke up in my dad's house, as I stood up from the bed and got dressed. Today marks the end of the month, meaning today I have something to look forward to. I got out of bed and Fruity was downstairs, making me breakfast. 

"You know, you don't have to sneak into my house every time you're worried about me." I said to him, as he grinned and left a plate for me on the counter.

"Well, I felt like getting my mind off of what happened last night. I've known him for a while now, it's a damn shame." Fruity said, as my eyes widened.

"Wait, is he DEAD?"
"WHAT?! NO! He's just been hospitalized, we're visiting him today." Fruity said, as I breathed a sigh of relief.

"It's weird, he considered me his friend. He nodded to me before he flew thirteen stories down." I said, taking bites of the food he made me.
"Hm. It's weird, but then again, he's friendly to all who arrive."

"You remember Kamaye? The guy we fought for a year ago?" Fruity asked, as I stuffed my mouth with his food.
"Oh yeah, what about him?"
"He's gonna be at the hospital with me. Why don't you come?" Fruity asked, as I finished the plate.

"Well, I got something to look forward to later."
"Are you talking about the fight?" Fruity asked, concerned.

"Heh. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. This is the only way I can feel something. Anything. That rush of adrenaline makes me feel feelings." I said, as Fruity sat down next to me.

"Why?"
"Well, fine. I murdered my father by rigging his microwave by taping spoons and forks to the sides of it, making a makeshift bomb. When I did that, I felt the most amount of joy I had ever felt in my life. Whether it was satisfaction or something else, I knew that was feeling. I made sure to remember the feeling by stabbing my left eye, as seen here." I said, as Fruity frowned.

"Well, I'm just some love-deprived loser. As a kid, my mom and dad hated me, I was ignored most of the time. I only realized now they didn't have the heart to kill me, so I was raised on the streets of this damn town. I never thought I'd meet someone like you though, someone who cares for me like my mom should have." He said, as I felt something tickle my cheek.

"Heh, you're adorable. You're not love-deprived, you have me. I love you more than any parent will." I said, as I hugged him.

Suddenly, Fruity stood up from the desk, looking shellshocked.

"What's up? The story was kind of sad though.."
"Why are you.." Fruity said, as his mouth turned from a frown to a confused smile.

"Why are you crying?" 

"I'm crying because I'm sad." I said, as the tears hit my hands, and I realized what was happening.

"I'm crying because I'm... sad?" 

"WHOO! YEEEAH!" I shouted, as Fruity hugged me.
"I CAN FEEL EMOTIONS! I CAN FEEL FEELINGS!" I said, as Fruity began to cry tears of joy.

"Wait.. I have to remember this feeling!" 
"Don't touch those knives." Fruity said, as his face turned sour.

"Ok, Ok. And besides, there's another way to bookmark this special occasion." I said, as Fruity raised his eyebrow.

"I'm gonna fight Okawa." I said, as Fruity backed up.

"B-But we just had a moment! You finally felt emotions a-and you're here with me! Why do you want to throw that away?"
"I'd be throwing it away if I lost, and you don't think I'd lose, right?" I said, as Fruity's face dropped.

"But why..?"
"Because I'm a man of my word. I wouldn't do this if I didn't have to, but emotion's a hard thing to keep for me. So I'll keep it the only way I know how: with Violence." I said, as Fruity left the house in tears.

I'm sorry, Fruity. 

After locking all the doors, I left my house to enjoy what could be the final moments of my life. "Hmm, where to start? Well, I'll check if that kid I helped is still kicking around." I said to myself, as I began walking to where I dropped off the kid the other day. 

As I was walking, I looked around me. I only realize now how beautiful this town is. It's not like most towns, it's not a calming and relaxing agricultural town, it's a glowing neon city. Eh, nothing to worry of now, I have somewhere to be. 

I made it to the kid's house and knocked on the door. I sat on the porch outside it, just looking at the sun go down. 

Suddenly, a guy who looked about 32 walked out and greeted me.
"Hey, nice to meet you. How do you know my son?"
"Your son? You're awfully young for a father." I said, as he laughed, wholeheartedly.

"Haha! Thank god Rhed introduced me to her, never did I think she'd become my fiancée. Anyway, how is he doing?"

"Oh.. about that." I said, as I explained.

"..Oh. I'm sorry to hear that. He's in room 13 in the Nozomu Hospital, yes? I'll have my family visit sometime." He says, as I smirk and look inside.

"Hm. Well, tell your son the one-eyed man says goodbye, he'll know what it means." I say, as the man nods and I stood up. 
"By the way, treat your family and wife right. You never know when your time runs dry and you heart stops pumping." I said, as he chuckled and I began to leave for the Yamagashi Castle.

I made it to the Yamagashi Castle at 7 in the evening, but felt the odd feeling I was being watched. I looked around me in anticipation, but looked to the left of me to see the beautiful town below me. Because the castle was so tall and so high up, the neon lights could be seen from miles.

 Because the castle was so tall and so high up, the neon lights could be seen from miles

That's beautiful. 
I only noticed this now, how could I have been so blinded by my own arrogance? Why would I be so worried about myself so much it affected others around me? I made Fruity cry just to fight for my life. I really am a heartless fool.

"Hey." I heard a voice ring out, as I turned to face it.

"You're here. Nice to see you, Okawa."
"You think I wouldn't show after a stunt like that? Burning down my house, hospitalizing my friend? You know how to piss off a guy." He said, as I back up, ready to run up the stairs to the floor above us, which is still pretty damn high.

"Listen to me: I did neither of those things."
"So what? The house just spontaneously combusted? Rhed just fell?"
"Never said that, but I guess I can't make a defense now, can I?"

Okawa assumed a fighting stance, as I prepared my legs.

This is it, the battle to decide our future and fate.