Reliance

TW: Slight mentions of the effects of the physical abuse amongst the McCain's. 

As soon as he stepped inside the house a waft of homeliness filled him. Cream and jelly, strawberry he thinks, along with the smell of fresh fruits. 

"How was school?" Rose smiled as he walked inside, she was sitting in the dining room reading her newest book, something a group of 16-year-olds that somehow have the abilities to take over the whole government that consists of a ton of corruption that Kit had zero interest in even though Rose had tried getting him to read multiple times. 

How the fuck do they have the power to take over people who are ten times their age and at least have one thousand more people on their side?

"Okay, I made new friends- I think- and my presentation went well." Normally he'd just answer with a simple 'fine', or ignore her but he felt generous today. 

"Mom wants to talk to you." Rose put the bookmark that her boyfriend, Leo, got her inside her page and shut her book. 

"About what?" 

"No clue, but I'm gonna listen in because I'm the nosy big sister." She grinned brightly and had positioned her chair closer to the kitchen, leaning over the back of it. 

"What if she starts talking about something disgusting." Kit folded his arms over. 

"Then I shall block it out with this book. It's really good! You should definitely read it I think you'll like one of the characters-" 

With that Kit had already dumped his bag on the floor and was walking away into the kitchen.

"Oh, oh Kit!! Hi!" Mrs. McCain chirped, wiping her hands on her beige apron and pulling him into a heaving bear-hug then quickly turning around to check on what was in the stove. That sent Kit into a frozen state of bewilderment and he just scrunched up his face waiting for some sort of explanation. 

"I have good news!" She was now mixing up buttercream in a ceramic bowl with a wooden spoon. 

"Yes?" He jumped up onto the counter again, he'd walked home from school and his feet were beginning to ache, he didn't particularly wish to stand for whatever announcement was coming up.

"Get off there, I'm baking! You'll get germs all over the surfaces." She whacked him softly with the spoon, making a splatter of icing soak onto his jeans, he pulled himself off and began wiping at it harshly. 

"What?" He was getting a bit fed up now, he just wanted to go and busy himself with absolutely nothing until his father got home.

"Do you remember your cousin Issac?" She handed him the spoon and nodded it, signaling for him to try it. He picked a bit off with his finger and handed it back, as he licked it off. It was smooth and sweet, but not the kind of sweet that would make you sick after eating too much. Vanilla.

"Yes, I remember. The one that nobody likes." He is the one that got banished from all family gatherings since he came out 2 years ago. 

"Don't be absurd. Not everybody dislikes him." 

"Name one person who still speaks to him." 

"Rose does!" 

Rose peeked her head into the kitchen, she'd obviously decided on ditching the chair and standing right behind the wall. 

"That's true, I still speak to him." She gave a little wave and then went back to hiding behind the wall. 

"I still speak to him as well! Speaking of, I got in contact with him."