Sleep

It became a tradition to watch the show instead of studying.

During this time, Kit and Theo had tried to become directors themselves and point out all the things they'd change and how they changed it.

To be fair, they didn't do much better than the show.

Piles of paper were strewn across the coffee table from where they managed to cram in a small amount of learning, combined with cans of coca-cola, packets of skittles, popcorn, and Twizzlers.

It was 3 am.

"This shit is making me tired." Kit half-whispered, eyes slowly shutting and pulling down.

Theo turned his phone on to check the time.

"It's three-" Theo started before he was jolted by the head of Kit landing on his shoulder, eyes shut.

"Shit," Theo mumbled quietly, face flushing. He looked angelic when he slept, a small frown etched onto his face. His chest rose and fell as Theo tried to calm down his racing heart, he inhaled deeply and stiffened.

His eyelashes were surprisingly long for a boy, they laced his eyes and fluttered softly under the sleeping, protecting his wintry eyes. Pale skin, the silk petals of a white rose, illuminating various colours under the TV screen. Theo fought the urge to count the flecks of freckles or to trace the littering of scars.

Kit's breathing was even, slow and deep. Face void of emotions, just peace, all walls were torn down, he finally looked safe.

He shuffled slightly and paused when Kit stirred by the movement.

"Fine." Theo huffed and looked back at the TV trying to distract himself with the show.

It was difficult with nobody else awake. The house still. It left him with thoughts which were funny to him. They either led to him over thinking his entire existence or something so strangely different. See, sometimes, they were like wisps of smoke that danced and swirled around in his head, transparent in a sense. They seemed so vivid and vibrant, painful thoughts. Until you reached out to think of them, ready to fall down the rabbit hole of thoughts. But instead of grasping onto the thought it extinguished. A senseless loss.

Then that would leave his mind lonely. And too quiet.

He didn't know which he preferred.

Because the other option was to be completely consumed by these thoughts. To have seen every bad possible outcome a scenario could provide. Not being able to be at peace or believe any words from anyone. Creating endless stress over something that may not even exist. Feeling that what he did last month was a mistake.

Why did you say that? Why did she look at you like that? She thinks you're weird. You are, though. Everybody thinks you are. Did you see the way they all turned? Did you see it? They spoke about you after that. They all think-

As he sat awake, thinking, the moon shone its light on down through the sitting room window. He rested his head back gently, trying not to move too much as his eyes closed slowly, weights pulling down on his lashes into a sleep of whirring thoughts.

Time folded in on itself, over them, and soon the ray of sun was shining through the wooded blinds, leaving rows of shadow across the room, morning birdsong beginning outside, their various choruses starting.

Perhaps, not so harmonious, came the sound of a screaming toddler from upstairs which consequently hitched both the boys awake, causing Kit's head to bash into Theo's chin, as they were greeted by the 'Are you still watching?' flashing on the television screen.