Chapter 28: Doctor's Note

"So what are we going to do when we're around everyone?" Will asked Nico. They were sitting on Nico's bed in his cabin the same day they had said goodbye to Brooke, Jason and Piper.

   "When you told your siblings and Cecil, did it go well? Did they all take it fine?"

   "They all already knew I wasn't straight and that I had a crush on you for a long time, so of course they were fine."

   "Do you know how many people at camp are part of the...um...LGBT community?"

   "Nice job remembering, Nico. And no I don't, but of the kids that were at camp this summer, let's see, if there are 300 campers...I think I know of at least 20 others at just Camp Half-Blood alone, and those are just the ones that are out."

   Nico twisted his skull ring. Will noticed that he tended to do that when he was nervous. "When these kids came out, did everyone take it okay?"

   "Most do. We all come from Ancient Greece one way or another. And the people who know ancient history know that Ancient Greece was the gayest of them all."

   "Really? I never learned that in school."

   "Of course you didn't. We weren't accepted back then."

   "True. But you said most kids?"

   "Yeah. There are always a few who don't accept you. No matter where you go or what you do, there's always somebody. Most people are okay, though. Plus there aren't even that many people at camp right now, and the ones who are, at least almost all of them are accepting."

   "Do you know who isn't?"

   Will shook his head. "Not really. Just rumors. Sometimes Ares kids aren't accepting. I've seen that with my own eyes. I don't know about Sherman or Ellis, though. Possibly Drew as well."

   "O-okay. Well, just don't announce it to everyone. If someone asks, I guess you can say we're together. Just nothing too romantic in front of people, okay?"

   "Ugh, this is going to be so hard!" Will complained.

   "You were the one who asked me out, Solace."

   "I know, I know. And I don't regret it, so don't get any ideas in that depressed brain of yours."

   "I'm not depressed!" Nico argued.

   "Pfft, that's the best joke I've heard from you. You want me to go into why?"

   "Fine, maybe I am depressed."

   "Thank you for admitting it."

   "Only for you." Nico sighed.

   Will pecked Nico on the cheek, making his face turn bright red.

   Will laughed. "Why does your face always get red over everything?"

   "Shut up!"

   "Fine, fine. Just talk to me if you get too upset, okay? Depression can be a scary thing. And don't you dare hurt yourself."

   "You mean on purpose? I've actually never done that."

   "That's surprising."

   Nico just shrugged. "I don't think Bianca would want that."

   "That's right. Are you ready to go and eat dinner now?"

   "Sure."

   As they were walking to the tables, Nico sighed. "Sometimes I really hate eating dinner alone. It makes me feel like even more of an outcast."

   "Percy and Jason have to sit alone while they're here."

   "Well, sometimes Grover would sit by Percy. And whenever Tyson is at camp he sits with him, too."

   "Then what about Jason?" Will asked.

   "You're right. But they don't stay for the school year, and their dad isn't Hades."

   "That's true. I mean the first part. I told you to stop complaining about being a son of Hades. But I do really wish I could sit with you. You shouldn't have to sit alone." Then Will got an idea. "Wait, maybe you won't have to!"

   "What are you talking about?"

   "Well, I'm a doctor. We can make up some excuse for why you can't sit alone, and then I can say you have proof from me. Like, a doctor's note."

   Nico smiled mischievously. That was the first time Will had seen Nico make a smile like that.

   "Don't worry. I've got it covered. Let's go talk to Chiron."

   Once Chiron made his usual dinner announcements, the 2 boys walked up to where he was sitting in his fake wheelchair at the table where he usually sat with Mr. D. Mr. D hadn't been to camp for a while, though.

   Chiron saw them approach and looked up. "Ah, hello Nico. Hello Will."

   "Hey, Chiron." Will said. "So, I just wanted to ask you if it would be okay for Nico to sit at the Apollo table for meals."

   Chiron looked taken aback. "Only those who have Apollo as their godly parent can sit there."

   "We understand that, sir." Nico continued. "But when I'm alone, strange things happen. My powers go out of control. When I'm with someone though, there aren't any issues. It's like a mood disorder. I have a doctor's note."

   "From me. I'm his doctor." Added Will.

   Chiron stared at them suspiciously. "Nico. Usually you're trying to get away from Will. Now you want to sit next to him? Why?"

   Nico's face reddened. "Um..well..."

   "Are you two dating?"

   "What does that have to do with anything?" Nico asked.

   "I mean, it would make a lot of sense. It did seem like the two of you were harboring some romantic feelings for one another."

   "Yes, we are dating, Chiron. But that's besides the point. We just figured this out." Will said.

   Chiron looked at them for a few more seconds before breaking his gaze. Sighing, he answered them. "Fine, Nico may sit at the Apollo table. Just don't make a big deal out of it."

   "Sure thing. Thank you, Chiron." Will said, pulling Nico along to sit at his new table.

   "Oh, and Nico? Will?" Chiron called.

   The two boys turned around to face the centaur. "Yeah?" Will asked.

   Chiron smiled. "Congratulations. It's nice to see you two happy."

   After throwing food into the fire, Nico sat down right next to Will. Austin and Kayla both stared at the two.

   "Nico, what are you doing over here? You're going to get in trouble!" Kayla said.

   Nico gave her a small smile. "I gave Chiron some excuse so that I could sit over here. It worked."

   "Chiron allowed you to?" Austin asked, astonished.

   "Yep!" Will exclaimed. "He'll be sitting with us now!"

   They shrugged. "Welcome to the Apollo cabin table, Nico." Kayla told him.