Chapter 13: Farewells

It was 2 days after Will's birthday when it was time for some campers to leave for the school year. Percy and Annabeth would be going to the city for their final year of high school, Piper and Jason were going to continue searching for Leo, and Lou Ellen was going home. A lot of people were leaving.

   Will walked over to Nico as he was walking to the breakfast table the day people were leaving. "Good morning, Nico! You'll be staying at camp, right?"

   The dark haired boy just shrugged. "I don't know. I don't really have anywhere else to go."

   "Then stay!"

   "I guess. But I'll be stuck with your annoying self for the year, though."

   Will grinned. "That's great!"

   After breakfast was over, it was time to say goodbye to some of his friends. Friends. He never thought he would be able to say that about somebody. But yet, Jason came into the picture. Then Reyna and Hedge. Then Will. Percy, Annabeth, Piper, Lou Ellen, and Cecil were pretty nice to him, too.

   His first goodbye was from Lou Ellen. Cecil decided to stay. They came over to both Will and Nico.

   "It was really nice getting to know you, Nico. I'll enjoy getting to hang out with you more next summer." Lou Ellen told him.

   "Likewise."

   Then Lou Ellen whispered something in Will's ear while Cecil laughed. Whatever it was, it made Will blush like mad. Then they were walking away.

   "See you guys next June!" Lou Ellen said, waving.

   "Uh, I'll walk her to the hill." Will said, running off. Cecil followed.

   Piper approached him next. "Hey, Nico."

   "Hello, Piper."

   "It's been nice talking to you recently." She told him.

   "Yeah."

   "I just wanted to say goodbye. I'll probably be back next summer, but that's a while from now. Just remember what I told you. Open up to people, it helps. Trust me, I know from experience. And don't turn away from who you are." She gave him a hug.

   "Thanks, Piper."

   She waved. "Bye, Nico."

   Percy and Annabeth came up to Nico.

   "Hey, Nico." Percy said.

   "Percy. Annabeth."

   "Man, I've been coming here since I was 12. 12! I can't believe this is my last summer before I go to college. It's crazy."

   "Yeah." Annabeth chimed in. "I've been here since I was 7. So I take it you're staying here?"

   Nico nodded. "I am. You were right Percy. This place really does feel like home."

   They both smiled at him. "You know, Nico, what you did was really brave. The reason why I didn't answer when you told me was because I was in shock. I had always thought you hated me. You know, because of Bianca. Everyone thought you had a crush on Annabeth, including Annabeth and I." Percy admitted.

   "I thought you liked me since we saved you and Bianca from Westover." Annabeth agreed. Then Nico did something none of them expected. He started laughing.

   They both stared at him in shock. "You thought for all these years I was crushing on Annabeth? Really?" He laughed.

   "Honestly I would've rather had a crush on her, anyways." Nico said.

   "Hey!" Percy protested.

   "No! I didn't mean it that way. I meant....I would rather have a crush on a girl."

   "Nico. It's okay. There's someone out there for you, I'm sure of it." Annabeth told him.

   "When you said you thought I hated you? That's partly true. I tried to hate you. I really did. I hated you...but I still loved you." Nico wouldn't meet their eyes. "But like I said already, I'm over my feelings for you. Both the hate and the love."

   "Nico, I'm actually pretty flattered that you had feelings for me." Percy told him.

   "Yeah, I thought it was very brave as well, Nico."

   "Thanks, I guess."

   "Hey, look at me. This isn't the last you'll see of us. We'll visit. And you know you can visit anytime. You know my mom and Paul love you."

   "Well, if you're mother is fine with me visiting, I may stop by at some point during the year."

   Percy grinned. "That's great, Nico!"

   Nico put out his hand to shake Percy's, but Percy gave him a big hug instead. "It's been so long since we met in Maine." He said, pulling away. "You changed, and then changed again. You're like a little brother, I love you."

   "Oh, shut up."

   Annabeth hugged him and kissed him on the cheek. "IM us anytime, okay? We're always here to talk."

   The couple said their last goodbyes and held hands as they walked up towards the hill.

   Finally, Jason walked his way to where Nico was standing. He was going back out to search for Leo with Piper. He went right into his sappy speech. "Nico, when I first heard about you, I thought you were suspicious. When I met you, I found you intimidating and a bit scary. And I'm sorry. You're not any of those things. You're just misunderstood. I'm so happy that I've gotten to become your friend, you're a great friend. I'll be back next summer, but call me all the time, okay? I'll try to visit as well. And tell me when you and Will get together!"

   "Jason! I don't even know if he likes me like that."

   "Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. It's worth a shot."

   "Whatever. I'll try to IM you and keep up with you."

   "And tell me if you and Will get together." He repeated.

   Nico sighed and rolled his eyes. "Fine. If that happens, I'll tell you."

   "Oh, I'm going to miss you, cuz!" He practically suffocated Nico in a hug.

   "Get off me, Jason." Nico had had enough hugs for the rest of his life.

   "Bye, Nico."

   "Bye."

   And then Jason joined everyone else on Half-Blood Hill.