Chapter 12

A/N: Sorry it's a short chapter!  I like to keep the different POVs in separate chapters to make it easier to follow.  I hope you enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 12

Quinn POV

I'd sat in the garden longer than I'd originally planned, just thinking about life and singing songs my mom and I used to sing together. I thought a lot about my mother and how much I missed her. I wondered when my dad would head out for his next trip to search for her. He hadn't gone yet this month. Probably because of all the big events in my life and the extra training the alpha was asking for. I know he hasn't forgotten though.

I thought about my mate and whether I would find him or not this weekend. I'm still not sold on the idea and the thought of coming back tomorrow is terrifying. I'm just not ready.

I also thought about my first shift. I'm not scared like most wolves are for their first shift. This is something I've felt prepared for my whole life. My dad has taught me techniques for going through the shift to make it less painful and quicker. A fast shift for a wolf can be the difference between life and death. Newly shifted wolves are notoriously slow shifters due to the lack of practice, so it's easier for an enemy to take them down in that pivotal moment. I'm determined not to be weak in any aspect of my life. If I can be strong for myself, then I can be strong for others.

When the time comes for me to hunt down whoever took my mother and bring her back home, I will have the strength to go through with it. Gaining my wolf tonight will only give me more confidence and strength. I'm ready for this. If only I were ready for everything in my life, I thought briefly.

I checked the time...ten thirty. Just about time for dad to pick me up. I stretched from my spot atop the gazebo railing. I've been sitting here so long I feel like I'm frozen in this position. Suze hasn't come looking for me so she must be having a good time. She knows not to worry too much about me. I'm not much of a party person. I tend to find a quiet place to spend my time and she eventually finds me when it's time to go.

I briefly debated going inside to say goodbye but I thought better of it. I don't want to run into anything or anyone that might distract me. She has the car and she'll be able to get home safely. I sent her a quick text telling her I was headed out and walked towards the edge of the garden. I found a gate close to the driveway and headed up the small hill to meet my father. I only had to wait a few minutes before he pulled up.

He had such a huge smile on his face as I opened the car door. It was hard not to smile too looking at his goofy grin. "Hey Quinny, how you feelin'?"

"Not too bad. I'm ready to meet my wolf though," I replied matching his grin.

"Well let's head out then. Anyone we need to wait for? Suze? Someone else...?" he asked slyly.

I know what he's implying. "I spent the whole evening in the garden, I'll have you know. No time to meet anyone unfortunately. Such a pity," I joked.

"And Suze?" dad asked.

"No clue. Haven't seen her in a few hours. I assume since she hasn't come to find me she has other things keeping her attention," I replied with a smirk.

Dad gasped. "Oh, Reg isn't gonna like the sound of that! This boy better be good or else I'll have his head. Reg and I can take him down easy peasy."

"I don't know dad...two washed up geezers against a pack's top warrior," I lied. "Sounds like a pretty uneven match to me."

Dad looked affronted. "I assume you are saying we would take him down easily. Unless you feel like running home for your first shift."

I pretended to think for a moment. "You know on second thought. I think you could take him with one arm tied behind your back." Honestly I don't even know if there is a guy let alone if he's on par to give my dad any competition. I do know Suze can take care of herself though. Reggie made sure of that. "Will you drive me home now?" I asked. "I want to get as far away from this place as I can."

Dad sensed my sour mood and decided to ignore the not so obvious reasons for my distaste of the mating ball. "So, shall we go over your techniques? I want to make sure my baby girl is ready for her first shift. Maybe we can set a record for the fastest first shift in werewolf history."

He always knew how to cheer me up. I love a good competition and some strategy talk. I gave him a big smile and agreed. "Let's make it happen. I need to rub it in some faces when I shift so easily tonight."

"That's my girl," dad replied. We spent the whole ride home discussing breathing techniques and mental focus. I practiced everything multiple times and knew I was ready. This was going to be easy. I can't wait.