Chapter 55

Chapter 55- Ella's POV

"When can I leave this miserable place?" I asked the nurse that evening while she handed me a tray of not so appetizing food.

The nurse smiled kindly. "Are you that fed up already? You've been here for less than a day."

"Yes. I'm tired of seeing policemen lurking around and having people looking at me in pity," I muttered. She gave me an encouraging smile, but said the opposite.

"Hon, if you're leaving here, it doesn't mean that the police won't still ask you questions," she answered. I shrugged and did not reply. There was nothing else for me to say.

PC Michigan had stopped by earlier once again, to inform me that surprisingly, John's statements were similar to mine, and that he would be dropping by to see me shortly. Him, not John. He said this with a knowing smirk, making me want to roll my eyes and shudder at the same time.

The principal had also visited, considering that two members of staff and a student had been involved in an accident. He hadn't said much to me apart from a "get well soon", but the look on his face when he saw whom I was was kind of disappointed. I recalled that John had told me that he'd threatened the principal as well, therefore he had known everything. I hadn't even had time to speak to Edward since PC Michigan interrupted our conversation. And anyway, what could I say? That he'd threatened me?

"Sweetheart, I have to leave for work now," my mother told me later on. "Malcolm will be staying with you tonight."

I frowned, glancing at my brother, who gave me a smile. "Doesn't he have lectures tonight?" I asked mum.

"Yeah, it's okay," he said. "I'll skip them tonight. It won't matter."

I shook my head. Even though I did not like the idea of being on my own at hospital, I didn't want my brother to skip his lectures because of me. "No, go," I said. "I'll be okay."

Malcolm looked thoughtful as he put a hand to his lips. Then he shook his head. "No, I can't. You're more important than Roman law." And as if to stress on this, he sat down in the chair, as if to show me that nothing was going to make him leave my side. I shrugged in resignation. Nothing was going to change his mind so it was worthless trying to put a word in.

Malcolm waited until mum left the room before he turned to me and asked me what I had been waiting for him to ask. "So what happened, Ella?"

Oh, so that's why he stayed then.

I chuckled nervously. "Which part do you want to know?"

"Why the hell were you with John this morning? You didn't tell me you were staying the night with him! And why him and not Edward? And what made you collide with that tree?" Malcolm shook his head. "Honestly, I have so many questions, I can't even remember them."

I swallowed hard and sat up. "A lot happened. Did Edward tell you anything?" There was really no point in hiding the truth, I may as well tell him what really happened. Most of which, to my annoyance, I had not had time to discuss with Edward, leaving me hanging on whether the pair of us had any hope of being together ever again. Not that the jerk PC Michigan was helping, either.

"He didn't have much time to. I only know that you and Edward had a fight, and you told me that."

"We didn't have a fight, we broke up," I muttered. Malcolm's eyebrows knitted in confusion.

"Why?" he asked.

"Never mind, it's not important why," I said, obviously unable to tell him what had happened between the two of us. "Anyway, it was a huge fight, so I needed to get away. So I did just that. With John."