Chapter 9: Solos

(A/N what charecter should find out about her hurt back first?)

"Hey, Liv!" I said walking up to the booth.

"You here to support your boyfriend?" She asked me.

"Nah. We have solo competitions today," I told her.

"You and seth up for percussion this year?" She asked me.

"Like every year," I told her.

The solos work like this. Each band can send to instrumentalist from each family: woodwind, brass, percussion, and string. Then from all of the school three from each family is chosen. They will move onto a final competition that happens the night of our final marching competition. It's a good way to get on colleges radar that you play.

If I want to get to NYU I have to get top three.

"Good luck. Your going to kill it. Have you heard about asher?" Olivia asked.

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

"Hes living in his car and he isnt showing up today," she told me.

"He hasn't told me," I said, my eyes widened.

"I'm going to get him here today. After your competition can you talk some sense into him?" She asked me.

"Of course. I have to go, but I'll find you later so we can help my brother make good decisions, " I sighed.

I walked into the band room and went over to seth. Me and him started talking until i noticed someone new coming over to us.

"You guys play percussion?" He asked us.

The boy stood at about six feet tall, he was very lanky. He was black and had a small afro.

"Yeah. I'm ace and this is seth. Both from beverly, you?" I asked him.

"I'm deigo. Im from south Crenshaw," he said.

"You guys dont normally compete," I noted.

"Yeah, but now I'm here. I just wanted to meet my competition. Or lack thereof," he said cockily.

"Well break a leg diego," I said with a smirk.

He rolled his eyes and walked away.

"How do you have the ability to come off as such a bitch all the time?" Seth asked me.

"Its a special talent. Plus he seemed like an ass," I defended.

"Your lucky I love," he laughed, shaking his head.

"First up. Seth Walker on the Xylophone," the lady announced.

I know what your thinking. Xylophone. That's what he picked. Let me tell you those are freaking hard to play. It takes alot of practice and memory, and seth has sent alot of time practicing to be the best he can on it.

I clapped for my friend when he finished. He cam over with a smile on his face.

"No one can touch you," I smiled.

"Not even you," he asked with a smirk.

"Domt get ahead of yourself. I'm going to kick your ass, " I said with a smirk.

Me and seth sat in the back judging the other percussionist. We had fun with it till Diego preformed. He was also doing a snare solo and he fucking killed it.