Chapter 31

"So, what you're saying..." I started, grasping, swallowing, and regurgitating this weird information being provided to me, "is that your uncle's gonna take Donny in from now on?"

Aubrey nodded glumly and slumped over the desk in front of me.

We'd met three quarters of the way through short break this morning. The Dean reluctantly handed me over the keys to the science lab room so we could hang somewhere Aubrey felt safe. Really, I just wanted to spend a few minutes alone with him and enjoy his face.

Even though we had English together first period, he stayed with Ikeisha and I stayed in my usual spot with Ben. We hadn't spoken again since watching Jesse's grand finale and I left Aubrey to speak with Horse-Face. On top of being informed about our final poetry assignment before upcoming end-of-year exams, I had to worry about what they'd talked about and how Aubrey felt.

Pressured? I didn't know. To be honest, I wasn't really sure that Aubrey'd even accept the apology. Donovan wasn't the sincerest person in the world.

But there he went, taking me by complete surprise.

Forgiving him so he could stay in school was one thing, but him living with Aubrey's uncle was another. They didn't live together, right? He definitely didn't like Horse boy, but was it that bad? Aubrey looked pouty and frustrated, but also confused.

Maybe he didn't even know why.

His hair fell over his face, so I brushed it back behind his ear. His tense expression softened a little, but those underlying emotions didn't disappear from his eyes. "Hey, what's wrong?" I asked. "Is it that bad?"

"I always wanted to live in my grandads house," he shrugged. "Especially after my accident, I always knew it'd make me feel closer to him even though he's gone. Like, just being there, y'know? Close. Now Donny gets to and I never did."

Aubrey must've known and accepted the obvious reason he couldn't: That he had two loving parents to care for him and provide him with a safe home. I didn't need to say it. He knew, and his confusion was why he still felt this jealousy even when he knew. Even bullies like Donovan needed to be safe.

I'm no psychologist but the way I saw it, Donny lashed out and hurt others because of how his dad lashed out and hurt him at home. No different than Aubrey retreating and becoming reclusive since his accident, or me dicking around whenever I had dumb feelings I didn't wanna feel.

It was all subsequent.

There was less than a minute until the bell rang. I wished we could spend the whole day like this, even at big break, but I promised I'd at least catch the guys up on everything that's been going on. I'd been ditching them a lot these days so I owed it to em. Seeing Aubrey looking so sweet in front of me like this, it was amazing that I could even think of anyone else right now.

Sometimes I amazed even myself.

Aubrey glanced at me, probably noticing my lingering stare. His face pinkened just the tiniest bit when he turned his face slightly. I didn't want him to turn his face away even an inch. "So um, aft-"

I pulled his chin and leaned forward over the desk, bringing his lips on mine. They went stiff for all of two seconds before melting into a kiss. Guess I took him by surprise, but he was just so delectable. Like a pavlova or something. Remembering that the bell was about to go off, I pulled away first.

Now he was pink enough to pass as an uncooked chicken.

His eyes flickered back up to me after a second of catching his breath. "So ah, after s-" The bell cut off what he was going to say. I tapped the keys and heard them jingle inside my pocket.