Chapter 9

I know I insisted on staying home today, but it didn't feel all that much better than showing up to school. People would talk about me whether I was here or there. The only difference was that, here, I couldn't hear it. I chuckled at the dark irony. It was just as easy not to hear it at school, too.

It was almost two PM now. I'd decided to surprise Mum by putting on loads of washing and hanging them out on the line. I changed, washed, and hung out mine and Tessa's bedding, too. I vacuumed the entire house from top to bottom, wiped out the kitchen drawers and cupboards, and mowed the entire lawns; back and front.

Now I was lying across the top of my freshly made bed, throwing a hacky sack in the air, right above my face. While I was never exactly a master at it, it finally felt like I was getting the hang of it. My senses sharpened as it flung towards the ceiling, then dropped over my eyes. Sometimes I caught it, and sometimes I didn't. Every impact made me jolt with a fright, never getting used to it.

Something else I couldn't seem to get used to were these obscenely frequent thoughts about Charlie Rascal. Ikeisha called me during their first break to tell me about his altercation with Donavan Hughes. To hear her praise somebody like that, especially the likes of that rascal, was a definite shock. And now I couldn't stop imagining him playing the hero.

Did that scrawny idiot really square up to horse-face Donavan Hughes?

Since Ikeisha spoke so fondly of him, I wondered if he'd in the picture from now on. Like, maybe she'd developed a crush or something. Maybe they'd start to date. The thought made me shudder. Firstly, he was annoying and loud. I'd have my hearing aid out twenty-four seven with him in the picture. Secondly, I hated the thought of them together. He's such an idiot, and she could do so much better.

And also, they just didn't suit.

My phone vibrated beside me, so I picked it up. Seeing Mum's name across the screen, I accepted the call and brought it to my ear. "Hi, Mum."

"Hi, sweetie. How are you feeling?" she asked. There were a lot of sounds coming from her side of the line that muffled her voice. She must be busy at work. I continued tossing the hacky sack above my hand with just one hand but used less pressure than before.

"Fine," I answered, jolting as it smacked on my forehead. "What's up?"

"I'm with Vivi," she said as if the name was supposed to belong to somebody obvious. I scoured my brain trying to recall it, but when I came up blank, I tossed the hacky sack back into the air. "Mrs. Rascal. Charlie's Mum."

The shock I got from hearing his name made the ball fly up harder than I intended. It came back and hit my nose hard, making tears collect in my eyes from the sting.

"Oh," I said, trying to sound disinterested while I rubbed the sore spot.

"I'm quite friendly with Vivi so I'd like her to come 'round for tea," Mum said, being overly cryptic. Sometimes I wondered what went through her head.

I tossed the ball up again, not really sure why she was asking. "Um, okay."

"Right, so Charlie will be coming over, too."

Taking me by surprise again, I forgot to catch the ball and jerked when it landed below my chin and rolled onto my chest. My heart hammered. I gave up the game and tossed the ball to the floor, giving my full attention to Mum.

"Charlie?" I asked. "Why?"

"Is it a problem?" she asked. "You said you didn't blame him, right? Mr. Rascal will be home late from work and so I suggested Charlie come, too."

"Right," I answered, sitting up and running a hand through my hair. "It's not a problem or anything. I'm just surprised you became friends with Mrs. Rascal."