Chapter 5

I was spared fifteen minutes to have a bite for lunch first. We stood in the busy cafeteria line, about twenty hungry souls away from being served. At this rate, it wasn't likely that I'd get so much as a bite of my muffin before my inevitable doom. Jude and Liam shared each other's sandwiches and pop top apple drinks, forming a circle with me, Goose, and Ben. The conversation felt grim, focusing on some pretty dark stuff Goose was going through. 

"Yeah, so she'll be staying with him over in Germany till he passes, I guess," Goose said, expression somber. "The doctors predict three months or less." 

"Your poor mum," Jude cooed, looking grimly over at Goose. 

"Yeah," Liam agreed, mouth still partially filled with sandwich, "I can't even imagine my dad dying. That's so rough. Sorry, man."

"Even just my grandad," Ben said with a shudder, right as Ikeisha entered the cafeteria. Incoming sex-gods and my current Hansen-twin-prey. "Couldn't imagine it."

This was my chance to get things back into motion! 

I slapped Ben's shoulder, making him jump with surprise. "HA, HA, HAAAA!" I held my stomach, laughing while I bellowed. "Ben, you're freaking hilarious. Such a funny guy. You could be a comedian, I keep tellin' ya!"

Ben frowned at me, miming what the flip are you doing? The others cringed at me, too, but I knew my efforts were paying off when Ikeisha glanced this way. "Hahaha! You're always so funny and witty," I said, pretending to wipe a tear from my eye for good measure. "Anyone would be so. Lucky. To date you."

Aubrey's eyes flickered this way, giving a look that mildly resembled disgust. Clearly weirded out. Ben stared at me with blatant confusion along with the others. I wrinkled my nose and nodded aggressively towards Ikeisha, trying to make sure they cottoned on quick. Before she did, at least. They finally noticed, eyes widening and forcing laughs and words of agreement. Their smiles and laughs were strained; fake, partially confused. And like a choir, our voices rang out across the cafeteria... only we were being conducted by a miserable drunk. 

But that didn't matter because it worked. Ikeisha grinned wryly over at us, while being blatantly ignored by the rest of them. At least she was easier to entertain than her friends. 

It should make things easier. 

-

It was already nearing the end of break time, and neither Aubrey nor I had accomplished anything even marginally productive. For lack of a better comparison, we both sat here twiddling our thumbs. Not even attempting to engage in conversation, there were no pleasantries. Nothing about this was pleasant, full stop. He was such a hard character, caught up in his own impenetrable shell. Why was he listening to Mr. Hardy now of all times?

Why didn't he ditch this time as he did just about every English class? Mr. Hardy told us to pull our heads together and work on some poetry materials. It was fine for me, but Aubrey's top lip was about to catch the wind and blow away. I mean, it honestly would have if it wasn't fixed to his face.

Forever in an eternal pout.

Just what did Mr. Hardy intend for me to do here? His exact words were, "Work together on this poetry," as he handed me a piece of paper. It was an eighteen hundred's classic by Elizabeth Barrett Browning; To Myself. So, now that we had it in front of us with no particular instruction. Here the both of us sat, staring at it; ruminating. Not even about the poem. Or at least, I doubt he was. His eyes never left the window. I picked up the piece of paper and started to read it, gaging his reaction as I did so.

"Let nothing make thee sad or fretful,

Or too regretful; Be still; What God hath ordered must be right;