Chapter 8

My phone vibrated. Ben's name appeared on the screen in front of me, making me look over at his seat to find the space empty. I must've gotten carried away at some point and hadn't even noticed him leave. I sighed and quickly stretched my neck and back before opening the message, feeling my body relax from the tension I'd exerted this whole time. 

My posture wasn't straight, but neither was I so it was best to keep things consistent. 

"Where u?" the text read. "Dnt b late." 

It was already less than ten minutes before the bell. I'd normally be in class goofing off since ages ago, so hopefully this would attest to my dedication and commitment. I tapped a quick reply, then packed up before heading to class. During the walk, I realized I felt lighter. Like I'd become somewhat liberated from just a little of my ignorance. But in reality, that was far from the case. The constant stares from students I didn't know reminded me just how far my ignorance went. It'd take more than a Google search to clear this debt.

Passing the lockers, I noticed horse-man Donavan cornering someone against a locker. Normally it'd be some soul from junior year, so I was surprised to find Ikeisha being pinned there. They were surrounded by his obnoxiously loud friends, and I could sense her irritation. She didn't look scared or intimidated, just incredibly annoyed. Their conversation grew clearer as I approached.

"... been quiet about this all, don't ya reckon? To find out he's disabled, I mean, you were shocked, too, right?"

"Don't call him that," she said, biting her teeth together. "Back off before I kick you so hard, you find out just what it means to live with a permanent disability, yourself."

The boys started howling and whistling through patronizing fits of laughter. They all looked down at her. Like her brother, she was strong and cool, usually held in high regard by everybody. But in this instance, she was nothing more than a sheep being circled by rabid wolves. Glossed lips thinning into a tight line, she balled her fists, ready for a fight.

Well, to compare the likes of Donavan with a wolf would be incorrect. He was a horse, through and through. And he wasn't built like a stallion, either. Not like Mr. Hardy. Nothing was impressive about Donavan's long face and freakily dark, beady looking eyes. The way he stood over her made my heart thunder with involuntary emotions. My legs took me forward, also involuntarily.

"Do you mind backing off her a bit?" I asked, coming to Ikeisha's side. I slid myself between her and his hand, using my hip to bump her out the way. "She can smell your last week's run. That's not how you win the pretty girls, dude."

Donavan retracted his hand and slammed it back against the wall, inches from my face. It was an obvious intimidation tactic, but being a little on the gay side, I'd read way too many kabedon clichés to be overly affected by it. Instead, I stuck my hand up and waved it in front of my face, fanning myself hard enough that its wind reached him.

He scowled, expression faltering into a look of mild confusion. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"Sorry," I said, flitting my eyes to the side, expressing my best rendition of sexy shyness. "It's not often I get pinned against a wall. And while you're not exactly my type, I'm starting to get the appeal."

Ikeisha snickered from beside me. Donavon made a noise and quickly backed away while his friends howled louder than before.

"Freak," he said, rubbing his hands through his hair.

Watching his taut muscles move in the process, I realized even ugly guys could make it look good. Who would've thought?

"Now that I have your utmost attention, gentlemen," I said, stepping away from the lockers so as not to be cornered again, "let me just say this. Aubrey Keats is not a topic up for discussion. The word 'disabled' is permanently forbidden from your horse lips, and you should use your intimidating presence to silence all of the idiots who drag this mess out. Got it?"