Chapter 11

It was Saturday and my phone had been vibrating since seven-thirty without relent. Ikeisha spent half the morning trying to persuade me to meet at the beach for volleyball, soccer, a barbeque, and a swim. It was a piping hot day after last night's storm, but I didn't feel up for it without my hearing aid. Breakers Café was located right beside it, so I told Ikeisha I'd meet them there if they went over for milkshakes instead.

She texted back with, "Ugh, no. Don't you know that's where Ben Brown goes with his friends on a Saturday?"

Charlie's best friend with no filter and even less tact. Ikeisha's developed a bit of an aversion to Ben Brown, but in saying that, it sounded like her feelings went a little bit differently towards Charlie as of yesterday.

"I didn't know that," I replied. My thumbs were getting sore from the relentless texting, so I video called her so we could switch communication. It took half a second before she accepted the call, and her face and upper body appeared on the screen. Keeping my voice low, I asked, "Does that mean Charlie would also be there?"

Her eyes widened, and a small pink tinge accumulated over her cheeks. Obvious even through the phone camera. "Yes," she answered through sign. "His whole group."

If I went to the beach today, then I'd see Charlie through the café window on my way down to the sand. We'd spent hours working on basic sign language together before sending him off with a list of websites, brochures, and handbooks. Given how excited he got after memorizing most of the alphabet, I figured he'd appreciate a signed greeting. His excitement right up until his Mum dragged him out the front door at nine PM made me chuckle.

He was an easily excitable clown.

"What are you grinning for?" Ikeisha signed, giving me a suspicious look. "None of them are remotely worth getting excited about."

Then her cheeks pinkened even more as if she went a little too hard on the makeup. Ha. Except for Charlie. An embarrassed Ikeisha was a rare one.

"Not true," I said. "Jude and Goose are alright...Liam, too."

"Didn't G O O S E pay a girl to be his girlfriend?" she signed. Trey moved around in the background, waving as he noticed me on Ikeisha's phone screen. I waved back at him but scowled at Ikeisha.

"Are you in middle school?" I asked, frowning more than I meant to. "That was a mean rumor, Keish. Don't buy into it."

Her shoulders sagged. "True," she signed, looking embarrassed now. "You played soccer with L I A M in the past?"

"Yeah," I said. "In primary."

She shrugged and signed, "Just asking. Anyway, beach at twelve."

The day was already hot when it'd barely even started yet. I didn't wanna go all that much, especially when I couldn't play games. If there was any chance at all of blatantly missing a ball in front of the others, then I didn't want to take that risk. But I guess the secret was out now.

Would they act differently around me? 

My hearing aid should be dry now since it had been in the cupboard since around four PM yesterday. I stayed on the phone with Ikeisha while I fetched new batteries. She watched with intent as I switched it on, waiting for the light to appear. It took a moment, but the green light blinked to life, making me sigh with relief. Ikeisha squealed, which I could hear clearly.

When I put my hearing aid in, I could hear Trey chatting and laughing at something in the background. Only then did I realize that Manu and Rangi were there right now. "The guys are there?" I asked, curious when that happened. "What's the occasion?"