Chapter 9

"Are you comfortable ?" Tewksbury asked.

"I could stay in this room for the rest of my life. Maybe I will..." She replied.

They were in Enola's room. She was in the bed and the boy was standing beside it.

"Is your arm alright ?"

"I guess it will be better tomorrow."

"You should rest. If you need anything, my room is across the hall." 

"Thank you." she smiled.

At her surprise, he kissed her forehead.

"Good night Enola." he said, walking out before she could think of an answer.

...

The next morning, Enola woke up, feeling a little bit better. She put a simple dress on and walked down the stairs. 

"Isn't anyone awake ?" she thought.

The girl entered the living room and looked at the clock.

"It's only 6am. No wonder I'm alone."

She knew she wouldn't go back to sleep so she decided to go outside. Enola was walking in the garden when she heard something. She moved towards the sound to discover Tewksbury, picking up flowers.

"Hello." She said making him jump.

"Oh god, Enola. You scared me. Why are you up so early ?"

"I could ask you the same question."

He shrugged.

"I couldn't sleep. I went to check in your room but you were asleep so I thought I would take some fresh air. And, uh, I kind of wanted to give you these flowers."

She smiled.

...

Later this evening, Enola was eating diner with her hosts. Turns out they weren't always nincompoops. She liked staying at Basilwether Hall. They had a huge library full of books the girl had never read.

"So, Enola" Whimbrel Tewksbury started, "Do you like it here ?"

"Yes, actually, you have a beautiful home."

"Thank you. How is your arm ?"

"Much better. I can't do anything too physical yet so I spend most of my time in the library. Now if you'll excuse me, I didn't finish my book." She said, getting up.

...

She was at the end of the book when she heard voices in the hall.

"Who are you talking about ?" she heard Tewksbury say.

"She is from a very good and rich family, beautiful and kind. And I want you to meet her." his mother replied.

"But why would you want me to meet her ?"

"Well, I don't know... She could be, your future wife ?"

"What ? I didn't even meet her yet and you are talking about marriage ?"

She didn't hear the rest of the conversation. She was feeling something in the chest. Something painful.

Jealousy.