Chapter 3

Enola and Tewksbury worked on the case everyday for 5 days. The boy was coming over the morning and leaving at the end of the afternoon. But his birthday was coming and his mother forced him to stay home during the ball organization.

Today was finally THE day. Viscount Tewksbury Marquess of Basilwether's  17th birthday. All the  marquesses and marchionesses, counts and countesses, dukes and duchesses (and many others) were coming at Basilwether Hall. After all, this family was very rich and respected in the country.

The boy had to stay in his room all afternoon, to get ready. At 8pm, he was standing at the top of the stairs, waiting to be announced. He winced at the sound of the voices of a hundred people he didn't know. 

"Lord Viscount Tewksbury Marquess of Basilwether." 

He heard applause as he walked down the stairs and joined his mom and his uncle, who were talking to people.

"Oh darling, I want you to meet someone," his mother started, "This is Isabella Williams, she's a countess, the daughter of an old friend of your uncle and I."

The girl was about his age, or maybe a little bit younger, smaller than him, blonde and green eyed. She was wearing a blue dress, that seemed pretty expensive. Beside her was standing her dad, about his uncle's age. He was looking at him with a cold look. 

"Nice to meet you." The boy said, smiling politely.

He smiled and shook his hand.

"I met your uncle when we were still at school. We wanted to become the most powerful men in the country. I guess we succeeded."

"He was the smartest kid at school. He always had what he wanted by a way or an other." His uncle added, laughing.

"The last time I saw you, you were 5. You must not remember Isabella, she was 4 when you two met for the first time. I think you will be great friends."

The girl smiled widely, almost giving him heart eyes, Tewksbury returned the smile, but awkwardly. She said something but the boy wasn't listening anymore. His eyes caught something and he could no longer look elsewhere.

"Darling, Isabella asked you a question. That is rude of you not to respond." His mother reproached him.

The young marquess didn't listen either, he just walked towards the stairs.

"Turns out we both look like nincompoops now." Enola said, standing at the top of the stairs.