Chapter 71

It had been almost five months since Nolam had seen Clytia. After he was done filming his movie in Boston, he had to leave for his following projects. He hadn't been back home since then. Five months of working all around the world. This was his life. The life he had chosen. A life he enjoyed living. However, lately it felt lonely. He wished he could have his wife by his side.

He had asked her to join him, which resulted in an argument. He thought it wasn't too much to ask for his wife to accompany him. They wouldn't have to be separated for months. Clytia was less than impressed with the suggestion. She had no intention of giving up on her job.

Flashback

"You gotta be shitting me Nolam! I gave up my life in Canada to be with you here. I had to rebuild my life here and adjust to your lifestyle. Now that I am back to work, you want me to give that up to follow around like a puppy?"

"Why do you sound so annoyed by that? I just want my wife with me. How is that a crime?"

They had been arguing for the past couple of days. Clytia was currently driving Nolam to the airport, while he was trying to convince her, one more time. "I'll be out of the country for months." He reasoned. "I just want to have my wife with me after a long day of filming! And the days I won't be filming, we could go on tour and visit."

"So basically what you're saying is that you want me to sit in an hotel room, for days on end, doing nothing and waiting for you to come back late at night." She scoffed, her eyes on the road. "Don't you think that's selfish of you to ask me to quit my job, just to sit and wait for you? Does it always have to be about you? Your needs! What you want!"

"Oh! I am selfish now!" He sounded outraged.

"When are you not?!"

"Cly it's not like you need to work. I earn more than enough for the both of us, our future children and their kids to have a comfortable life. You don't need that job." He argued, making her gasp.

"You didn't just say what I think you said!!!"

Nolam sighed. "You know what! I get it! You're making me the bad guy. It's okay. Stay here and have fun working. I don't care. Do what you want." He finished.

End of flashback

After that, they barely talked for days, the distance between them not only physical. Clytia was mad at him. Even though he apologized, she remained a little cold. It was killing him. His possessiveness and jealousy was getting the best of him, bringing out his anger. It took several sessions with his therapist to recognize that he was indeed selfish. He realized that he could be such an asshole sometimes, using his love for her as a justification for his actions. Nolam made sure to never miss his sessions with his therapist, no matter how busy he was.

He was used to getting what he wanted. It made him greedy.

It was a strange sin. All he wanted was acquired HER. He was greedy for all her attention, her smile, her presence, her time, her being. He was a selfish lover. Nolam had not realized till then how much greed had seeped into their relationship. It had built up and caused tension between them. Maybe the time apart from his wife wasn't a bad thing. He needed to work on himself. He wanted to be better for his wife.

When he finally talked to Clytia about his therapy and the process he was going through, he noticed a shift in her behaviour. The coldness that had enveloped her was gone.

Flashback

"Do you hate me?"

Nolam was met with the silence during his video call. He looked at his wife, whose expression he couldn't decipher on the camera. Her eyes were staring at something few feet away from her.

"Clytia?"

Her eyes finally came back to his, a smile on her lips. "Sorry. I was keeping an eye on Benji to make sure he won't chew on my shoes."

"Oh okay. So?" He cocked an eyebrow, suddenly nervous.

"I don't hate you Nolam  I am glad you are getting some help to handle your anger and your possessiveness."

"You never told me that it bothered you that much."

"I did. During the couple therapy! Remember? When I said it could be overwhelming?!"

"Yeah. You're right. I guess it took me longer than expected to process the information. I am really sorry. I shouldn't have asked you to quit your job. I know you love what you do and I am sorry for being so inconsiderate. It's just that I miss you." He finished with tears in his eyes. He took a deep breath to calm himself and prevent the tears from running down his cheeks.

"I am happy that you're working on that Nolam. I am happy that we're both trying to be better versions of ourselves. Really. I am not mad at you or anything like that."

"You promise?"

"Promise. I love you"

"Love you more."

End of flashback

Nolam was really trying to be better. That was one of the reasons he was where he was at the moment. He had to be careful and made sure Clytia didn't find out that he had finished his last movie and I had traveled to another destination. He couldn't tell her the truth. At least not yet.

"I need your help." He let out in a breath without beating around the bush.

The man in front of him was standing tall, and proud. His eyes roamed over him from head to toes. The glint in his eyes would have made any sane person cower in fear, but Nolam refused to bulge.

"What made you think I'd be willing to help you young man!?"

"Please don't look at my person to deny me your help. I love your daughter and I want to do right by her. So if you want me to beg you, I'll do it. Please, just give me a few minutes to explain everything to you before you make a decision."