4. Maria

The sound of my heels clicking on the clean and white floor tiles echoed. I clenched my handbag to my chest. My fingers dug into the leather of the handbag. I could hear him calling out my name, but never once did I even hesitate. What does he want from me now? Hasn't he done enough?

"Maria," I ignored him again and pressed for the elevator. I tapped my foot on the floor impatiently as I waited for the elevator to arrive. From the corner of my eyes, I could see him striding nearer to me. I stared at my reflection in the closed door of the elevator. There is no point in running away anyways. "Can't you hear me calling your name?" He questioned me as soon as he halted beside me.

Without even sparing him a glance – I ignored him. He must be clenching his jaws by now – that's what he does when he is annoyed. When I didn't answer him, he scoffed, "I don't want to waste my time on you either. I just want you to accept the money I am offering you," he said.

My blood was boiling. I didn't want to do anything more than slap him hard across his face. I gulped down the anger that was piling within me and closed my eyes for a brief second before taking a deep breath to calm myself. I could feel his gaze on my face while I ignored him. Reaction – that's what he wants from me and I am not going to give it to him. Thankfully, within a few seconds, the bell dinged and the elevator arrived.

There were already three people in the elevator when I stepped in. To my horror, Silas followed me in. I finally looked at him glaring at me. He clenched his jaw and averted his eyes at the people standing behind me. "Leave this elevator." He ordered them.

I couldn't see their faces as my back was facing them, but I am sure they must have been baffled by his sudden demand – nevertheless, the three of them quite judgingly left the elevator. I mashed my lips and decided to follow them out. I was stopped by Silas as he held my wrist tightly, "Not you," he said and pressed the button to close the door.

I gritted my teeth as I glared at him, "Silas, let my hand go." My voice held demand.

He didn't speak – he just looked at me. His grip on my hand tightened – I glanced at his hand shaking and blocking my hand's blood flow. "I said let go!" I yelled as I freed my hand from his grip. I rubbed my wrist as I glared at him, "What the hell do you want from me, Silas?! Why can't you leave me alone? Haven't you done enough?!" I yelled out.

He flared his nostrils and pushed the stop button – causing the elevator to stop moving, "How dare you say that to me?! I haven't done enough – ME?!" He chuckled humorlessly, "Maria – did you forget what you did?! How can you be so heartless?!" He yelled out loudly. Veins on his forehead popped and his skin turned red, "I never thought you would turn out to be such a shameless cheat." He might have lowered his tone, but the hate within his voice was deafening.

Unwanted tears once again filled my eyes. I stared into his eyes – maybe I was looking for the Silas I fell in love with because this man couldn't be him. All I could see in his eyes was hate – hate for me. I finally averted my eyes away from him and chuckled humorlessly, "I don't know what you are talking about. I don't know what made you think that I cheated, but whatever it was – I don't want to know anymore. You know why, Silas? Because I can never live with a person who claims that he loves me, but can't even trust me." I continued, "Keep thinking what you'd like to think about me, keep calling me names – do whatever you want because I know I didn't do anything to betray you. I know that I am right and you are wrong." I pointed my finger at him. He didn't say anything as I pressed the button and the elevator started to move again.

"Just take the money and leave," I heard Silas speaking lowly from behind me. I knitted my eyes and turned around to look at him, "What made you believe that I want your money?" I huffed in disbelief, "You turned out to be the most pathetic person I know, Silas." I snapped. I heard him sigh as I turned back around, "Just keep the money – that's all I am asking from you." He said just when the door opened. I once again turned my head around to look at him, "You have no right to ask anything from me. You lost it when you decided not to trust me." I said to him. "As for your money, Mr. Silas Harrison – keep it or give it to someone that accepts charity. Fortunately for me and maybe unfortunately for you – I am not the one," I said before I walked away from him.