10: Maria

"What is going on here?" Silas asked again when none of them answered him. He looked at Sean before looking at me and then his gaze traveled to Elna, who stepped forward.

"Oh – uh, Mr. Harrison, this is Sean McKenzie. He is from the Event Management team you asked for." She told him.

He sharply looked right at her, "Miss Trish, I know who he is. I asked what was happening here." He asked.

Elna pulled a string of her hair behind her ear and nodded, "Uh – I was actually showing him around. His team has been working on tonight's event since this morning. He is here to see if everything is coming out fine." She answered.

Silas's eyes averted to Sean, who stood strong with his hands shoved in his pockets. He smiled and nodded his head, but Silas didn't return the gesture – he just sighed and turned to look at me, "Enough with the chit-chats. Everybody goes back to work. And Miss Wayne, see me in my office after lunch," he asked.

I could feel my heart in my mouth, I honestly didn't want to see him but he is my superior, and can't say no to him, so I just nodded my head, "Okay, Mr. Harrison." I said. Silas kept his eyes on me for a brief second before he turned around and walked away.

Elna and I blew our cheeks out – while Sean kept his eyes on him as she strode out of the hall. "That guy is a very strange man." He commented to which Elna rolled her eyes, "Sean let's go to work before we invite any more trouble." She said to him.

Sean sighed, "Nothing is going to happen, sister – relax, will you?" He chuckled and turned his head to look at me, but I was lost in my own thoughts. I was determined to see Silas as little as I could. I needed to stay away from the trouble he could cause me, but here I am – in the same old situation.

Elna put her hand on my shoulder, "You okay?" she asked. I turned my head to look at her and sniggered, "Okay? He wants to see me in private – of course, I am not okay. He is probably going to insult me or fire me – I know he was looking for a chance to do that – now he finally got it." I rambled – not even caring about the people around me.

Elna bit her lower lip, "I am so sorry, Maria. I will make sure that he doesn't make any absurd decision," she said.

I shook my head, "No, Elna – I think you should stay out of it. He will be an ass to anyone who tries to be on my side," I asked her.

"Why would he do anything so irrational to you? Does he have a beef with you?" Sean asked.

I completely forgot that he was there as well. I glanced at Elna, who looked at her brother, "It shouldn't matter to you, Sean. Go back to work. You have so much to do and there isn't much time left," Elna said to him.

Sean chuckled, "My team is supposed to work – I am just supervising. And I am sure they will be done with all the arrangements by the time this event starts – so, will you please relax?" He asked her. He turned his head to me and smiled, "I apologize – I shouldn't have asked you anything about Mr. Harrison. I am practically a stranger to you and I shouldn't interfere." He said.

I couldn't help but smile before nodding my head, "Thank you and it is okay," I replied. Sean walked away with Elna beside him while I resumed arranging the utensils on the table.

I was setting tables with the help of two of the other servers while Silas's ability to see me after lunch was on my mind. I couldn't shake off the fact that he minds wanting to terminate me from this job when I didn't even do anything – but again, he is just looking for something to just make me go. That way, I will not be in his way and he can be peaceful again. If I sensed that he was going to fire me – I would resign first. I don't want to be terminated by him – I don't want him to make me feel unworthy again. She was busy making tables when she felt a hand on her shoulder – she almost jumped and jerked her head around to see Charlie standing behind her. Charlie knitted her eyebrows, "You haven't had lunch yet?" She asked.