8: Maria

I heard his footsteps following me – it was like he was hitting his heels on the pavement loudly so that I could hear him follow me. I sighed and halted before turning around and there he was – standing a few feet away from me exposed to the drizzling which must be ruining his expensive clothes. He didn't utter a word but silently stared at me.

I pressed my lips together and held my bag tightly to my chest, "What? Are you going to follow me all the way home?" I mocked him. His eyes twitch – of course, my tone didn't go well for him, but I was too tired and cold to care. "Seriously, Silas – I am neither in the mood nor will I ever be with you, so, please go back to your business and let me be," I told him and turned around to completely ignore his existence, but his voice stopped me from walking away.

"It might rain again. Walking in desolate and deserted streets at this time of the night could be dangerous – I am not in the mood either, Maria – so, just get in the car so I can drop you home." He spoke impassively.

I snorted – his so obviously fake concern was irksome. I clenched my jaw and shook my head – it was useless to say anything to him. Without wasting any more energy on him, I turned around and started to walk hastily. I heard him curse from a distance, but I didn't stop nor was I planning to – he could be upset or whatever – I wasn't concerned about him anymore.

"Maria!" I heard him call me out, but my feet never stopped until I heard his loud steps before a hand grabbed my forearm and I was forced to halt, "It is dangerous out here in the dark – how hard is it for you to get it through your thick skull?!" he sounded grated. I freed my hand from him and turned around to find him standing close to me – so close that I was able to smell his warm cinnamon and grapefruit-scented cologne – which smelled familiar – almost like the one I gifted him when we were together. I shook away the distracting thoughts and stepped back – creating some distance. He narrowed his eyes and his nostrils flared, "It is not safe here, can't you understand that?!" He scolded me.

"And how can I be sure that I will be safe with you?!" I yelled back. His eyes widened as he glared at me – he clenched his jaw as veins got visible on his neck. I didn't mean to say that – it came out in the heat of the moment. Silas could accuse me and hurt me mentally, but I know he would never hurt me physically. I know what I said was making him upset, but still, I didn't take my words back. He should know how words can cause deeper wounds that never heal – he gave me countless – he can take one as well. I pressed my lips together and once again turned around to walk away – hoping he wouldn't stop me now.

A few ladies wearing short sparkly dresses walked past me – giggling while they had their eyes on the man standing behind me. I have seen these girls around – they are prostitutes. They often hang out outside the club, so that they can get drunken and aroused clients that leave our club.

I stopped briefly to watch them walking past me while swinging their hips, "Hey handsome, usually, I charge too much, but for you, I am willing to do it for free." One of them spoke raspingly to him. I didn't want to watch or hear them flirt with Silas – so, I just walked away. I could hear those girls from a distance, but I couldn't catch what they were saying as I silently walked away.

After a couple of seconds, I sighed in relief when I realized that Silas wasn't following me anymore. But my ease was short-lived as I heard a car coming to a screeching halt. I looked behind to see Silas walking out of the car. I knitted my eyebrows as he swiftly walked towards me with his lips pressed tightly together. Everything was happening so quickly that I didn't even get the time to process it.

He grabbed my forearm and pulled me closer – he stared into my eyes with his black ones. He looked furious, but soon he broke into a chuckle. I could feel chills running up and down my spine – it wasn't an amused chuckle – it was a dark mean chuckle – almost like it was mocking me. "So, that's what you do, huh?" He said – I could feel his hand shaking as his grip tightened on my arm.