034

Spencer Tracey

After the extra exciting dance Percy and I shared in front of practically the whole school, I needed a break to breathe and get my beating heart back together. It's not that I was scared of being out like that, nothing of that sought. It's just, nothing like this has ever happened to me, never like this and not in school. A school that hasn't treated me all rightly in the first place, I was sure they were going to talk.

"I need to pee," I yelled close to Percy ears. That's another reason I hated parties, the screaming part. Must the music be so loud and harsh?

"Okay, let's go." Percy said taking my hand in his.

"No no, you stay," I stopped him, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Your friends are just about ready to jump you and I don't want to hoard you all to myself all night." I pointed at the group of girls who kept giggling and pointing at Percy clearly waiting for him to be alone. I'd gladly keep him all to myself all night too but I needed space to breath too, away from this noise.

Percy smiled at them, and then his attention returned to me. "You sure, I could just show you the bathroom and head back."

I smiled knowing that's not possible, "yes I'm sure. I'll be fine."

He kissed me and reluctantly let go of my hand. "Okay then, hurry up. I'll be waiting right here."

"Sure," I slowly walked away, pushing pass kissing couples and through dancing friends. By the time I was up the stairs, I could barely see Percy surrounded by all the girls, all of them talking and sharing shots. I shook my head, he's probably going to get shit faced drunk after all.

"You know," a boy I didn't know from anywhere came to stand right in front of me, sneering down. "How you managed to get Percy wrapped around your sorry ass is still very surprising."

I glared, "like how you managed to come out of your mother's womb looking like that?" He glared and I didn't wait for him to react to that before I pushed pass him taking the stairs two at a time and running up. I ran into the first open room I saw and closed the door behind me.

That's what I was talking about but I'm done giving into hate and snide remarks. My past is bad as most people and I'd probably be paying for it every day of my life but I am human, I've changed and I too deserved happiness. It was coming now and I was not going to let meaningless talk get to me. I've been through enough; let me smile this one time.

I closed my eyes shut thinking about Percy, I'd say he's my only reason to live but after Ida's death, my mother, I've come to the conclusion that I didn't need to live for anybody other than myself. Yes, people I love and care about should influence my thoughts, goals and dreams once in a while but I wasn't living for them. I wasn't living just so I could find my Mr. Right one day and finally be happy. I wasn't living just so I could reunite with my father and he'd love me like a father would love a son and I'd be happy. I wasn't living to please anybody or to finally find happiness from anyone. Happiness was everywhere, I just needed something to open my eyes and mind to see it. Happiness was in Stormi's relentless barking and wagging tail, Happiness was in Tricia's laughter, Happiness was in Percy and his mom's banter. Happiness was even in Ryder and her mom cooking together and her dad playing cards. Just because she had what I didn't, didn't mean she deserved to be happy and I didn't.

I knew four languages, I've traveled in more places than most my mates, I was smart with excellent communication skills. I was a complete catch. I didn't need to live for anybody because the day I'd finally die, I wouldn't die with anybody and everything I've ever done would be on me. I was going to live for myself and Percy, I had to do right for us both. I'd try not to make stupid mistakes again, no matter what I would be happy and he would be too.