022

Percy Flynn

I've been here before— a lot of times actually, mostly to see my mum. I usually loved coming here, don't get it mistaken, I don't like seeing the sick people and hearing all the beeping sounds and cries and sometimes the blood. I liked coming here to see the people getting better, those actually recovering and seeing the smiles on the faces of their family and friends. It kind of gave me hope that no matter what things would be fine. If I had a hand in it, that would be extra great.

I remembered one time mum had brought me here because I've been pestering the life out of her. I ran out her office without her knowing and run into an old man in the hall. He was in a wheelchair and struggling to push it with all his might. No one was paying him any attention, everybody busy with one thing or another. I went over to him and helped. I could still remember the wrinkled smile he gave me as he let me push him, giving directions. He told me how he had sent his grandchildren home because they wouldn't leave him to breathe. He called me son and after I put him on his bed, he said I looked just like a model he knew way back.

Mum had given me the scolding of a lifetime but every day I came, I went to see him. Until he died, that is. I didn't even know what he was in the hospital for. I cried so hard, mum wanted to ban me from coming to the hospital ever again. Even though he died, even though I cried so much, I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

I don't even know how I feel now. I wasn't sad and I wasn't happy either. I'd gotten a text from Ida Caldwell, Spencer's mum and she said to come see her. She refused to elaborate further and I didn't ask. My boyfriend's mum was asking me to come see her, alone. If I was here with Spencer, it honestly would've felt better. I had no idea what it was she wanted with me, I had no idea how she even got my number.

"Ida Caldwell?" A nurse asked, after I'd explained my mission here to her. I nodded. "Come with me please."

Apparently she has been transferred to a new room, I didn't know if that was good or bad. I didn't know anything now and honestly I thought my heart was about to run away and leave me.

"Ida, a boy named Percy is here to see you." The nurse shouted into the room, using her body to refrain me from seeing inside. I didn't hear what Ida said but the nurse gave way letting me in.

Taking a deep breath and stuffing my hand deeper into my pockets, I walked in. What I saw was an unexpected sight, so different from the last time I saw her. She was sitting up on her bed, a beanie over her head and an iPad in her hands as she smiled to herself. God, Spencer was right, she does look better.

I faked a cough first, taking cautious calculated steps further. "Uh, hi."

"Hi," She replied, looking up at me for a split second, then back to her electronic. "Come on closer, don't be scared. Cancer isn't contagious."

"I didn't think it was." I muttered, going closer.

"Then pull a seat handsome." She said still smiling and I wondered what she was doing. "I'll be with you in a sec."

I pulled a seat, then went ahead to look around observing everything. The room was bright but the curtains were drawn closed. The heart monitor was still there, doing its beeping thing and there was a drip connected to her. Her laughter brought me back to reality and I saw her sigh.

"I lost." She pouted, putting the iPad down, and then laughed. "But that felt good, I was a pro at it before cancer came, almost addicted. Didn't realize how much I missed it."

"What is it?" I asked raising a brow.

"Candy Crush, what else?" I almost laughed.

"Oh."