♟ Chapter 4 ♟

BELLA

BELLA

I felt someone jerking my shoulder. "Belwhore?"

"Sir! I am up." I said as I slowly opened my eyes.

I noticed that I was no longer in the car but lying on the ground. I looked around me, to only find trees. I got up from the rough ground and came face to face with a house that looked small but homely. It seemed like I was in the middle of no-where. I started walking towards the house but was stopped by a hand pulling me back. I turned around to see Lewis staring at me. 

"They're gone to collect keys." After he completed speaking, I remembered what all happened a few hours back. 

I nodded my head. "Thank you."

I walked towards a big stone that was lying at the corner of a pine tree. I sat down on top of it and then looked back at the house, It was difficult to look at it as it was almost dark now.

The house was painted in white and maroon colour. I glanced around to find Lewis, but he was nowhere to be seen. I started panicking. I was left alone in the middle of tall green trees. 

I heard snapping of a twig. I glimpsed towards the direction from where the sound was heard and saw a black streak of light. It was so fast to be noticed as to what it was. I then heard footsteps coming from my right path. I whirled my head to find my father and my stepmother with happy smiles.

My father took a key out of his shirt pocket which I assume to be the house key and twisted it to unlock the main entrance. I got up from the place where I sat and started making my way to the house. As I reached them they turned towards me with a grin plastered on their face. But when they saw it was me, they grimaced. 

Angelo made her way towards me but got stopped by my father. "Don't waste time on this bitch, Angelo, we'll take care of her later. Now come on, let's see our new house."

Angelo looked at my father and shook her head. She gave me one last unpleasant look and went inside the house; hand in hand with my dear father.

I saw Lewis carrying the luggage all by himself. I waddled towards him to help him carry, but I got reminded about this morning when I saw the black duffle bag. I gave Lewis a sheepish smile. However, the reaction I got back from him was an angry glare. I shrunk back but straightened myself. 

He was being good a while ago, why was he glaring at me now? I can't understand him.

I strode into the new house to see modern furniture arranged in the right order and the walls were painted with beige colour. This house gave a warm environment. But I don't think I would make good memories here.

I roamed further and noticed that there was a storeroom, a modern kitchen, two bathroom doors and two rooms which all were painted with white.

There were only two rooms. So that meant, I was going to get the storage room. Yay! I feel excited already.

"Where are you? I need you right here, In front of me." My father yelled.

I came out of the second room to see my father unpacking every bag and mixing everything out. I watched him as he took his and Angelo's bag and went to the master bedroom.

I stood where I was standing. After a few minutes, he came out of his room and dragged me to the storage room.

He opened the door and when he switched the lights on, I was surprised to see my new bed and wardrobe were better than my old ones. The walls were painted white and at the other end of the room was filled with old items. There was also a large window from where I could see the view of the forest. 

"This will be your room. Be happy that I have given you more than what you deserved." I nodded my head. I knew that I didn't have the right to these many things. "Also from tomorrow onwards, you'll be attending Wolfville HighSchool. Be ready at 6 am sharp. Angelo, your dear mother might give you a ride to school. Sleep tight." With that said, he got out of the room. 

I walked towards my new window and gawked at the view of the strong timbered trees. I love forests.

It reminded me of my mother. She used to take me out for insect adventure every evening and would show me different types of insects. She would teach me the names of them and would keep a test of five marks every day. If I got five on five then she would give me a piggyback ride and I was allowed to eat her favourite potato chips. 

I looked at my wristwatch, It showed the time to be half-past nine. It was already late and I was sure if I would sneak out on the first day then I wouldn't be permitted to go out again.

I kept my window open as there was no ceiling or stand fan here. I got back to my new wooden bed and lied down on it. Even the mattress was softer than my old one. 

I closed my eyes and was about to sleep but I heard a loud howl.

Was there a wolf in this forest? I got up from my bed as soon as I heard a very loud and strong growl.

I slowly walked towards my window and stared out only to be met with darkness. As I was about to close the window, I noticed a pair of deep red eyes. My hands started trembling. I pulled my window shut completely with a thud.

I heard a whimper coming out of its mouth. My heartbeats were rapid and I felt nausea hit me. I looked through my glass window and saw the creature's eyes were staring right at me. There were no curtains to cut the view from inside to out which was both good and bad.

I made my way to my bed and sat down. I ran my hand through my hair. Its eyes were so scary. I knew a normal wolf wouldn't have red-coloured iris.

I started breathing hard as it kept on staring at me. I felt like I was its prey. I pretty much knew that it could break the glass window easily and attack me. I couldn't see the creature fully except for its blood-coloured eyes. 

I closed my eyes petrified at what it might do to me. I held my chest as it started beating more harshly.

Was it looking at me thinking whether I would taste delicious or not?

I slowly opened my eyes. I searched for the pair of bloodshot eyes, but it was nowhere to be seen. I let out a sigh of relief. I think I wasn't worthy enough for being its meal. I looked down at myself, I really was skinny. I had very little to no flesh that was sticking to my bones.

I guess I was not even apt to be someone's meal too. In total, I am unnecessary and a burden to this world. 

With those thoughts, I got invited to my dreamless sleep.