eye contact | 3

she decided last minute to sit upfront tonight.

it might be because she had had a great week, all her coursework was already in and for the moment she wasn't as burnt out.

she actually had a good feeling about tonight, she even had smiled at the bartender earlier as he handed her her drink.

also there was the anticipation coiling in her belly, the atmosphere of the bar felt charged with electricity.

or maybe that was just her.

the person on stage was singing about something or the other, but she was distracted by the figure that had just stepped in.

she didn't have to second guess, it was him.

in a leather jacket, his prized guitar slung across his back. his hair was in a loose ponytail with wisps falling around his face as he stepped determinedly to the door leading backstage.

she hadn't realized she was holding her breath until the crowd started applauding the performer from earlier.

she rubbed her damp hands on her worn out mom jeans, it occurred to her as she glanced around at the other women at the bar, that she dressed incredibly infantile compared to them.

she probably looked like a high schooler. what with her wild curly Afro, curly bangs and round glasses.

yeah, definitely sexy.

she resisted the urge to cringe, she was determined to ride out the day in full. it started out great and it will end greatly.

starting with the man who was currently making his way on stage.

she didn't realize what she was missing out on when she sat so far in the back.

up close, he was majestic.

he started to sing and she embraced the soothing feeling that overcame her.

his song was sad as usual, it tells the story of  a woman that was being loved by someone she didn't know about. It was beautiful, but sad because the woman whoever she was, took her own life in the end.
and the song went on to talk about the guilt her secret admirer had felt.

she hadn't realized she had closed her eyes until, she had forced them open on the last few notes,

it was that nagging feeling that kind of made your hair stand on end.

he was looking at her.

while he was finishing his song, his eyes had held hers for just a few seconds before flitting away.

leaving her feeling exposed, in the best possible way.