Chapter 41

Chapter 41

She was blazing with anger, her entire being a mass of ferocity and rage.

Sat within the royal box, a little further behind and to the side of the Empress, Gaius could see her body moving effortlessly through the air, her sword striking true.

Her thick dark hair shimmered in the sunlight as her body, stiff and painful after giving birth, was able to dodge every attack that was sent her way.

Gaius found himself enthralled by the Gladiatrix and her comrades; even now, when faced with certain defeat and death, they kept pushing forward.

What did they have left to fight for?

Gaius turned from thoughts of his last encounter with Krista in his tent and narrowed his gaze upon the young woman as she grew distracted.

Leaning forward in his seat, Gaius found himself holding his breath as Krista turned in a circle, her eyes fixated on the crowds.

Gaius grew concerned with Krista’s stability as his eyes flickered to look upon the Empress.

From behind she could not see where his gaze had fallen and he saw the corner of her lips tilt upwards in a smile that dripped with victory. Her skin was bronzed with luxury and her fingers curled around the arm rest of her throne with anticipation.

Pompeia wanted Krista dead. Everyone knew this and assumed it was because Krista had made Pompeia look like a fool in front of an entire empire of people.

But a Gaius watched his Empress, her pure bloodlust and obsession with Krista caused his blood to run faster with curiosity and suspicion.

Before Gaius could investigate further, a sudden rush of excitement burst through the crowds around him.

The men that occupied the royal box along with Pompeia lurched forward from their seats to see what had occurred.

Preoccupied, Gaius was a few seconds behind the others so that when he stood up Krista was already directly below them, gazing up at Pompeia as if they were the only two people who existed in the world.

This strengthened Gaius’s suspicions but he could not act on a mere tendril of a thought when he saw Krista’s feet shift in the sand, her body turning on its side as she leaned backwards.

Noticing the sword still grasped in Krista’s hand as she took her position, Gaius was aware of the commotion in the crowds but he could not tear his eyes of Krista if the hounds of Tartarus were upon his heels.

In the next instant, Krista had suddenly hurled her arm forward and released the sword she had clasped so desperately only moments earlier.

A wave of fear engulfed every single person in the arena as they acted upon their instincts, trying to save their own lives but Gaius turned his head towards Pompeia and saw her frozen to the throne.

She seemed unable, or unwilling, to move.

Gaius’s heart was palpitating in his chest as he turned back to gaze at the saw but he could barely take another breath before it was whizzing past them and clattering against the stone pillar directly behind them.

He watched the sword drop to the ground with fascination and shock; Krista had missed.

With a final look at Krista, her lips extended into a similar smile of victory, Gaius reached forward and wrenched Pompeia to her feet.

Not caring what she said, Gaius was her commander and charged with her protection.

Pushing her in front of him, Gaius directed her through the maddening crowds and down into the passage way that kept her separated from the masses.